looking for an asian market to trade

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Gordon Gekko, Sep 1, 2003.

1. in the near future, i would like to trade an asian market after the usa markets. i use IB.

3 qualifications:

1) tax treatment similar to ES.

2) margin requirements similar to ES (or lower).

3) currently has an average daily dollar range of ~$600+ per contract. a highly traded contract with a high average daily dollar range (~$800-$1000+) would be best.

thanks

2. def

def Sponsor

The Hang Seng Index probably suits what you're looking for. however, margin is a bit higher than ES.

3. Well (now that you've conquered the US markets :)) you're really spoilt for choice there, Gekko: Japan or Hong Kong, take your pick.

4. I'd say Hang Seng.

Have a look at this chart over the last month. A lot 'trendier'.

I trade the HK markets as well as markets all over the world (I live in Australia, so HKSE is close and daytime), but I mainly trade the US markets... Generally, I'd say trading is the same thing all over the world. On the other hand, I'd say it's the most difficult in the USA. However, the rewards are worth it :D

Here's a Chart of Hang Seng (HKSE) vs Dow Jones (DJIA)

Best Wishes,
    ~Scientist :)

5. I have experimented with trading different markets but have found it very difficult to maintain the neccessary concentration over the course of the day. I would get up at 3 am to trade Eurex but not be totally awake. By the time the asian markets took off I was wore out from playing the US markets all day. My bottom line suffered. Someone much younger might be able to handle it tho. Im pretty sure that you can make all the money you need in 6 1/2 hours.