Looking for advice coming out of college!

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by Josh26, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Josh26

Josh26

I am entering my final year at Texas A&M university, pursuing a degree in Agriculutre Economics. I am stuck in the middle of a couple different paths: i'm having a hard time deciding whether I want to go get a MBA or get my feet wet and jump right into the work force. I want to become a trader in energy, ag, stocks, commodities or anything that involves major competition and high reward for hard work and high risk.

Looking for any possible tips or advice you guys might have for me.

Thanks, Josh

2. pcp198

pcp198

I found my edge trading the weekly Natural Gas report, its not for the faint of heart, the momentum and volatility during and after the report are huge. If your willing to take risk and have quick reflexes, it can be a consistantly profitable trading opportunity.
    Unlike most other economic reports, the data's released during market hours so liquidity is not an issue, and once the data's released any correlation between the SP500 and NG becomes almost non-existent.

3. If you can jump in to the workforce, I'd do it. I think an MBA looks better once you've got some experience under your belt. Then your resume looks more like "guy who has spent some time in the trenches and has some advanced learning" as opposed to "kid who has no clue about the real world and has only spent time in the classroom" Plus, it seems that your desired job is going to have lots of learning you can only get through OJT.

One other possible huge benefit is that many employers often subsidize or even fully fund continuing education for programs that apply to their duties.
    The downside is that it is more difficult once you've entered the workforce and takes more effort on your part.

My $0.02.

4. If you fail at trading, you can get your MBA.

5. You're fucked, sorry.

6. Chausey

Chausey

I agree. There is no place that rolls out the red carpet and tells you come use our money at your discretion because you're smart and work hard, then take a 50% cut and get rich. In fact most ag trading is merely boring hedging work.

7. Josh,

The landscape of trading is changing rapidly and continues to do so, less and less dependent on man as machine is now the primary driver (algo). I have been a professional trader since 1996 and could do little else at this point to make the same income opportunity that I have now. I say opportunity because it is obviosly not a given, not a salary and growing harder each year.

I would recommend you plan on a career other than trading as a foundation, especially if you want a family in the future. You will have the ability to trade on the side and learn over time, (a "degree" in trading only comes through time and lessons learned). At some point in the future you may decide to make it a full time profession or just keep it as a side hobby.

I would love to do something other than trade for a living, again it is hard to change careers at this point for me and get paid something equivalent. My buddy has THE COOLEST job in the world, I was able to go out with him the other day on a job; he is a ship pilot. Guy makes serious bank and has constant adventure...........gets to go home to his own bed too.

8. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Have you ever traded? 'Cause it isn't that impressive to be willing to take high risks ... on other people's capital.It's funny the number of new graduates that are born for trading ...but never had the time to open a mini account...

Nothing personal. I don't know your situation.

9. soonhwei

soonhwei

good 1 :D

10. I really dig the second to last sentence.

major competition

high reward

hard work

high risk

DO YOU WANT TO DIE EARLY?

or have serious mental and/or physical problems?

There is no f*cking glory in major competition, hard work, and high risk...

You might not be able to get your d*ck up and f*ck b/c of the high stress and pressure.

You are going to be a busted up person by age 40.

But don't let me stop you.

#10     Aug 10, 2011