Looking for a VPS

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Fergus, Nov 26, 2009.

1. I have my clsuter at IP Exchange (http://www.ip-exchange.de/) in germany. Puts most "professional" US data centers at a shame.... 16,8gbit external bandwitdh on about a dozen links. Sadly, they only rent out rack SPACE (plus possibly hardware through a deal with Dell). Nothing for smaller setups. They have good speed to german stock exchange, though - less than 10ms ;) I am more than happy with them. I pay around 600 USD for half a rack including 1000gb traffic and electricity ;) NEVER had an issue at all. They are one of the few actual centers that does support high density systems if asked for - i.e. they can handle racks full of blades, where most centers go nuts on the cooling needs per rack ;)

They have a branch catering the end user (only in german, though) at http://www.ipx.de/ - but it is not necessarily high quality (though the servers are decently priceed for what one gets).

#11     Nov 28, 2009
  2. BillR

BillR

Commercial Network Sevices is a BIG RIP OFF. Their servers are very unreliable...This is from personal experience with them.. The guy is a crook.

#12     Dec 6, 2009
  3. What do you expect for that price?

High quality setups require high quality hardware which - incidentally - has a price.

THis includes:
    * NOT storing the simulated discs locally on a cheap 1TB SATA disc raid (yeah, cheap - but slow and not failsafe) but on a replicated SAN. THis means that you need at least 2x the capcity net (remember, replicated / high available), and obviously use faster discs. Ergo: more cost
    * Running in a cluster, for example 16 machines, out of which only 14 are ever in use (ergo: the other 2 need to be paid, too). Modern virutalization systems allow moving running machines without interruption between hardware servers in the cluster - very nice. THis way one can "free" a server before a reboot for a patch, so that the virtual machine does not even realize she moved.

This setup THEN allows you to even do live upgrades of the underlying hardware without restarting / interrupting the virtual machines. But, as I said, it costs ;)

No USD 30 per month el cheapo VM, sorry ;)

#13     Dec 6, 2009
  4. croupier

croupier

@NetTecure: Are you German? Grüezi aus der Schweiz... :D

#14     Dec 6, 2009