Looking for a trading pos at a prop firm

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Husky02, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Husky02

Husky02

I have been working in the commodities sector, mainly energy over the past for years. I have put in time at Morgan Stanley, Bank of America and Schroders. For the most part I have had operational jobs, ranging from P&L analyst to settlements clerk. I have a great understanding of the trading environment and have a strong desire to start trading. However, working for large investment banks there are too many political hoops to jump through to obtain a position on the desk. It has grown quite old and I'm looking for a respectable prop firm and enter a trainee program. I wold appreciate any info people could pass along on possible firms and/or contacts to work with and what to look out for. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

2. Try to get a prop position that does not require a capital deposit. You risk nothing but your time and effort.

3. Husky02

Husky02

thanks....do you know the percentages on most prop firms in regard to a capital deposit? Most places I have read about do not require any persoanl funds

4. Husky02-

with the experience you have , you may want to check out

First New York Securities and/or Schonfeld Securities

www.firstnewyorksecurities.com

www.schonfeld.com

from what I know, most other places are the, "here's your desk, go get 'em" places. so unless you know what and how you're gonna trade you're better off with a place that offers more training like the two firms mentioned above.
    good luck.....and keep us informed of your progress if you can.

uptik2000

5. Husky02

Husky02

thanks again! i really appreciate all the help and will let you know how it turns out

6. Husky02

Husky02

does anyone have any info on etg(electronic trading group)...they seem to come up on all my searches, but there web page doesn't provide that much info

7. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

Husky,

Do a search on this site for ETG or the firms uptik mentioned. You will find more than you need I'm sure. :)

8. Husky02

Husky02

thanks...that is actually really helpful

9. liltrdr

liltrdr

Try Worldco...

10. Husky02

Husky02

thanks....does worldco require a deposit from prospective traders?

#10     Jul 30, 2002