Looking for a trading desk in NYC

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Crude Man, Dec 14, 2010.

1. I dont understand why traders believe they need a T1, T2 or T3 line?

Here is the speed coming from my cable modem. I believe Verizon offers something similar. Do quotes take up that much data that you need something faster then below? If someone is surfing youtube with the cable modem then I dont believe it will upset a datafeed of quotes.

[​IMG]

#11     Dec 17, 2010
  2. What i totally do not undersatnd is why you need so much bandwidth to start with. I am now pulling in 4 exchanges (CME, CBOT, NYMEX, COMEX) to have all the globes stuff. This is not an end user "choose your symbol" feed, it is a compelte feed (all symbols, including all options, all the time) and I am pretty much never pulling more then 4-5 mbit - in spikes. Average would fit on a T1 during trading horus, spikes last a second or so.

So, even 100 symbols (my set is about 250.000 thanks mostly to the options) should fit easily on a T1 or low end DSL.

#12     Dec 17, 2010
  3. I was curious so I "Googled" the question to find the advantage of the T-lines versus the cable-modem. The T-lines are fiber-optic and are more reliable. My cable modem has gone down in the past, but its usually only on occasion like 2-3 times a day and lasts a few hours.

The newest fastest lines at Verizon and the cable company are now fiber-optic. So they should be just as reliable as the T-Lines. The T-lines also guarantee a certain speed where as the cable/phone company may throttle you. I never experienced any slowdown with my cable/phone company internet.

So I am guessing that T-lines are for businesses or entities where the internet cannot either slowdown or go down.

#13     Dec 17, 2010