Looking for a trade management platform similar to Excel

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by rolando87, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Why don't you get a dedicated server and remote into it and do all that... its cheap and the up time is way better

#11     Jul 30, 2012
  2. 1. The codes reside on my machine, not a remote machine.

2. Theres a fee to pay for this service. I keep my costs low here, and can upgrade to a 8x/16x CPU core with 2x VM for ultimate performance

3. Though its good, but what if the cloud, VM or colocation resources are shared. **Other than the latency ms to NYSE or to IB US. Least its faster than SG to HK)

4. Remote means the administration is slow, since its remote vs having it local.

#12     Jul 30, 2012
  3. Dedicated or colocated aren't shared... its not slow to administrate so many people do it in so many different businesses... if your gonna put hundreds of thousands of dollars the costs are marginal

#13     Jul 30, 2012
  4. hmm hundred of thousands is the capital not the profits. To spend a $50-$100 a month on a colocation of servers that has no effect on bottom line.

its like hiring 2 IT admins and Accounting, back office ppl who are useless and adds $0 value to the business. That is why in the first place we are talking about Excel and trade analysis, and automation, being my edge.

Unless Im on high frequency or requires servers to sit beside quotes server in exchanges, save the time, $ and hassle to colocation.

#14     Jul 30, 2012
  5. CHICAGO BOARD OPTIONS EXCHANGE, INCORPORATED FEES SCHEDULE
    JULY 1, 2012

G) CO-LOCATION
    Per Month

Co-location of Equipment Fee (per “U” – 1.75 inches)
    $50
    Co-location of Equipment Fee (per “U” – 1.75 inches)/Sponsored User $100

doesn't that seem like way to cheap to you.. i literally have one U server istting in front of me.. i agree with you.. overhead down! your right.. thats why i'm learning to mess with excel... are you hft options? or what

#15     Jul 30, 2012
  6. No I dont, not in the rebate biz nor in the options MM biz.

Also I dun need tick by tick data because I know I'll lose out the others. And if i were to run it, I have to dump Excel and start Java or something.

Then my machines got to be on Linux, low level codes, multi threading, and all sorts of development problems again.

Im playing around the low frequency trades, as of now its managable. Unless, I want to split my strategy, maybe I'll look into 1 colo and 1 frm home, 2 accounts.

#16     Jul 30, 2012
  7. i figure i'm going to rip down a bunch of data into a database.. serve to to my own spread sheets to graph it in anyway i like... once you rip down a couple months of data on the monthlys and weeklys some anomoly might show up...
    i really wanna get time and sales data.. look at basically orders going through volume.. open interest... bid ask spread changes.. where trades are going through at and at what volume... look at vol skew live.. graph out things like how many unusual trade sizes ended up making any sense in their life time.. people typically trade in lots related to their capital... the information is all out there i just don't think your average joe indicators are going to enable a REAL edge.. you catch what i'm saying

#17     Jul 30, 2012

8. Don bright wrote an article this pass month in the S & C mag about rebate biz.. I had no idea that was going on... shows you were i'm at.. such a noob... but i hope one day to remotely make markets.. or at least make a living doing this and get out of my day job digging holes with mis mexicanos

#18     Jul 30, 2012
  9. How can u study all these data when all these data could be fake ?

Can u tell from a chart whose buying and whose covering ?

Whose buying in slices, buying as hidden orders, buying dark ice, ice bergs, vwaps etc.

I wish u good luck !

#19     Jul 30, 2012
  10. i just built a really nice desktop for myself.. i had a decent one before.. harddrives are always bottle necks.. 16 thread chip, sata 3 SSD hard drive.. solid state is the only way to go.. 550 r/w ... my computer blazes... i've only got a little over 9 bills in it.. considering i reused my video card.. i'm totally hearing you.. i wanna create the most value for the least amount of money... my account is only 20 grand and its shrunk a little from there with some trades i'm in.. i was trading 30 plus grand.. and i was profitable.. marginally.. (to me profitable is banking more then some conservative 15 percent a year) but i took money out to live and go on vacations last winter..
    i do think for just a few symbols i can rip down data into my spreadsheets insert them into a Mysql db and serve them to a web app and back to myself into excel to analyize data for super cheap.. super cheap... i was going to start a website just to post my trades on and throw up some dynamically generated charts with the data i keep ripping down from my brokerage feed..

#20     Jul 30, 2012