Looking for a prop trader job...

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Newbie9999, Sep 16, 2008.

1. I was wondering if anyone could help me in my search for a job as a trader. I have no trading experience, so I think I'm looking for a trader in training, junior trader, or associate trader position. I am interested in working either in the proprietary trading desk of a large financial institution or for a hedge fund. Are there any reputable places that teach trading and have a strong placement after completion or is that just a waste of time and the best thing to do is go to work on a desk? How does one go about getting a job on a trading desk? Are there any headhunters who specialize in this area? Who do I call? Talk to? I have many years of work experience and a MBA, if that's worth anything. Any suggestions or guidance would be gretaly appreciated. Thank you, Newbie9999

2. l2tradr

l2tradr

Working at a prop shop is not a job per se, as you'd put up some capital and there is no salary. Getting on an institutional trading desk will be difficult, especially in the current market conditions and your lack of experience. If you have contacts in the industry, that might help in term of getting an interview.

I'm not sure about your work experience, is it related at all? An MBA doesn't hurt, but doesn't guarantee a shot either.

3. JCVR

JCVR

What is your work experience? I would say unless you were a quant and the MBA was from Harvard you have a 0% chance of getting a job in the next few years. Even in good times you don't walk onto a banks prop desk or into a trading job. Most hedge funds hire trading assistants from the motivated pool in their own back and middle offices.

At the moment you have tens of thousands of experienced traders out of work so get in line.

4. You got $5K? Your hired!