Looking for a new computer, stumbled across this one

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kmgilroy89, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Had a hiatus from trading and related, just back since last Monday. Planning on the Intel Xeon E5-1620.

#41     Apr 7, 2013
  2. How are you planning on utilizing that?

#42     Apr 7, 2013
  3. ofthomas

ofthomas

if you are doing a Xeon, then you can easily have two... so you can do 2xNVS310's and take full advantage of the bw... otherwise... just get the V4900... but keep in mind that you also need to keep in mind the monitors you will be using... I prefer to stay with native... so if DP on the GPU, then DP on the Monitor...

#43     Apr 7, 2013
  4. Well, some background. Although doing little trading related, I researched what I could from my iPad.

1) Dell Outlet does not ship internationally, neither do the bargain sites you folks in the States regularly use.

2) Having said hallelujah I'm back, my POS Acer died again last Friday in the middle of the trading day. 1 month out of the shop. Worst possible time, because this is a 3 day week, as is next week and half the country is already on holiday for the Thai New Year. So no repair and probably can order the Dell but no delivery till after 17th at the earliest.

So I've reached my limit, I'm going to buy a workstation /business class rig that will suit all my needs and then some for at least the next 3 to 5 years. Full price, from Dell.

The Precision T1650 offers the i7-3770 but I don't like that the PSU is only like 275 watts. So the next up is the Precision T3600 and that only has the Xeon chips. So be it. I will go for the 635w PSU.

And if you want to know why Dell don't do better business, compare the Tech Specs sheets on the Malaysian site and Thai site in terms of detail. Unfortunately I'm stuck with the Thai lot, but will use the Malaysian site to spec. I did look at the local HP site, load of rubbish so I moved on.

http://www.dell.com/my/business/p/precision-t3600/pd

http://www.dell.com/th/business/p/precision-t3600/pd

#44     Apr 7, 2013
  5. Yes looking at the Dell Ultrasharps. I've used Acer monitors without problems but the local IT superstore only carries up to 23" max. Since I want bigger and Dell list those, I'm going the easy route.

#45     Apr 7, 2013
  6. ofthomas

ofthomas

wow, if you are in APAC, never mind... shipping there from the USA and vice versa is a nightmare... whenever we have to move equipment from AMER/EMEA to APAC it is usually cheaper to just source it within APAC because of all the issues with shipping/import... so if you have a local source with DELL, by all means... use it... T3600 is your best choice given your non-technical issues and that you require stability... I will also suggest to get yourself a low cost notebook as a backup... nothing fancy, just something that can hold you over if the system crashes...

#46     Apr 7, 2013
  7. ofthomas

ofthomas

ultrasharp are good choice and will last you a long, long time... I still have one of those left from like 8 years ago...

#47     Apr 7, 2013
  8. Purchased a refurbed HP z400 W7P-64 X W3680 6X 3.33GHz 500GB SATA 6GB DDR3 1333 DVDRW Quadro NVS 450 Rmkt WS

Once again thanks ofthomas for finding me this. Cost me $844 after tax and S&H. Bought it from HP's outlet. Maybe there are better deals, but after spending many hours searching I decided just to buy a machine. I'm pretty satisfied with this one though. Can fit up to 24 GB memory, can always get an SSD later, but most importantly is the graphics card supports 4 monitors.

The big players were expecting me to buy an AMD today. Now that I haven't, short it and expect it to give back today's gains.

#48     Apr 8, 2013
  9. murrica

murrica

Did I just hear you say that you don't like ice cream? Did you even try it?? :D

#49     Apr 8, 2013
  10. #50     Apr 9, 2013