Looking for a mentor

Discussion in 'Options' started by jdoucet, Aug 2, 2006.

1. jdoucet

jdoucet

I have been trading options for about two years now and have some pretty good success. However, I am looking for someone that I can look to as a mentor, someone with experience. I am eager to learn as much as I can and I am really enjoying this forum and trading in general. How many of you guys have reached a six figure balance in your account as a result of trading options and how long did it take you? I'm just curious.

2. cdowis

cdowis

3. jdoucet

jdoucet

Thanks for your response. I will check it out and let you know.

4. If you are successful, then you don't need a mentor. You will end up paying a mentor for nothing. You will most likely teach him something. So then you are paying your mentor to allow you to teach him. That's oxy-moron.

5. Raven

Raven

g

6. jdoucet

jdoucet

well, actually I was referring more to someone on this board that would be willing to share some time and insight. I do find a wealth of info on this board.

7. cdowis

cdowis

You get what you pays for.

You can get free advice here, and end up paying $5000 in "tuition" to the market (losses) in three months, or pay it to a mentor with over 20 years experience on the floor.

I am not addressing you specifically, but new traders in general.

8. jdoucet

jdoucet

The fact of the matter is that there is an element of truth to what you just said. I started with no mentor or tutor and have given back a total of $15K in losses. Thankfully, I have that under control now. I guess I was trigger happy and thought that I could be the first one to accomplish the things that more experienced traders advised me against. I learned that the hard way :). Now, I'm a mighty humble person....been there done that. I now know how to sit down and listen to those that have ventured out before and survived the wild swings of the market.

9. cdowis

cdowis

I heard an interesting comment from a state champion wrestler:

"At the beginning I thought I could get through with only instinct and determination. But I quickly learned to listen to my coach -- what to do when I got into certain situations."

10. get riskarb to help, but don't pay the bitch, he's already loaded :D

#10     Aug 16, 2006