Looking for a mechanical trading system

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by morse1, Aug 20, 2003.

1. 5 months??? Gimme a 10 year result... then I'll be wow-ed...

OK... Gimme till next morning.. and I'll have one that out do that system for a 5 month period in 30 min.... I'll do it on ES...

C'mon... fellow system trader... any system less than 5 years of data is worthless...

#11     Aug 21, 2003
  2. Hmm, that's interesting that you backtest for 10 years. I was thinking of backtesting to 2 years back. This is because I believe that market conditions change and information from 3-10 years ago should be greatly discounted. Don't you think that a system that worked from 1993 - 2003 through the dot com bubble phase would not provide consistent results in this year's market?

I don't want to be offensive, but it sounds like rationale similar to value investing. It works over the long haul so apply it in all time periods even if you have to sit though 8 years of stagnant performance.

Just my 2 cents.

DNAJ65000

#12     Aug 21, 2003
  3. My system performs consistantly... during the bubble and the fall to the current condition. If it doesn't perform, I wouldn't trade it. Also, I'm not talking about one system. I have multiple systems that work as one. All systems with Sharpe between 1.7-2.6 since 1987 to now...

#13     Aug 21, 2003
  4. can someone tell me in beginners language, based on past performance how much profit can one reasonably expect to make from Berkeley Capitals mechanical systems.It sounds very good for someone who doesn't want to go through the a painful learning curve.Is that possible?

#14     Aug 21, 2003
  5. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Anything will sound "very good" to "someone who doesn't want to go through a painful learning curve".

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but you guys are asking all the wrong questions.

#15     Aug 21, 2003
  6. Funster

Funster

Hey Gann,

Your systems - do you consistently get a PF of over 2 since 1987 on a daytrade only basis (no overnights whatsoever)?

What % return a year are you averaging in the backtest and what is the max DD?

Thanks

Funster

#16     Aug 21, 2003
  7. DaveCA Options brought up Berkeley Capital.I'm new to this area but I've learned enough to know that when I asked how good it was people would tell me if it was so good why don't they just use it to get rich themselves.Or they would tell me if you weren't the one making the decisions from the advantage of personal judgement based on hard earned experience and knowledge it would have little value.
    They offer to show their results but I wan't able to access it.I was hoping someone might have some personal experience with this mechanical system that works on an autotrade.They said it takes out the emotions when working like this.
    Any more ideas?

P.S. I find you folks very interesting.

#17     Aug 21, 2003
  8. Profit Factor varies from 1.25 - 1.85...

Max DrawDown: $2,450

No overnights. Daytrade only... Use ES and SP data to test...

#18     Aug 21, 2003
  9. morse1

morse1

I am not new to trading futures but I am confused about all the systems out there most of which use mathimatics to provide a signal, are there any programmes that are so called intelligent programmes that take into account the movement in the markets over a certain time span and analyze this data and provide a realistic probability where the market is moving. I only wish to trade twice a day I thought about scalping any views?

#19     Aug 21, 2003
  10. Funster

Funster

And your return per year?

#20     Aug 21, 2003