Looking for a free intraday software package

Discussion in 'Forex' started by Stok, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Stok

Stok

I am looking for any free charting programs that has intra-day forex data (like 30 min bars) going back 10+ years. I use IB with Ensign and IB feed doesn't do it nor does the FXCM feed (built into Ensign).

2. LeeD

LeeD

The length of history you demand is the problem. Not even popular paid datafeeds such as IQ Feed or eSignal offer this much intraday history.

The thing is... A common convention is to classify historical data as daily, minute, and tick. So, if you want 30-minute bars, the convention dictates it's the same as 1-minute bars... and data providers that offer 10+ years of 1-minute bars are few.

3. Stok

Stok

Understand.

TS does go back intra-day...so may just subscribe to that for a few months. Not doing any program related back-testing, just need the intra-day data to confirm some things from daily charts in forex. My FXCM has daily forex data back to '93.

warcious likes this.
  4. LeeD

LeeD

From what I guess you don't really need intraday data going this far. What you want is to draw support, resistance levels, trendlines etc based on data going 10 years back and see these drawings on current intraday charts. A number of charting packages will accomplish this for you. You can draw whatever you wish on a daily chart and then change timeframe to 30-minute bars. Although you won't see the full history you will still see your technical analysis. Some of this software might even support FXCM as a data feed.

5. Jason Rogers

Jason Rogers ET Sponsor

Hi Stok,

FXCM has free 1 minute historical data going back as far as 2001 for many of the popular pairs. The data is available in raw format and you could import into the Strategy Trader platform. Here's where to find it http://forexforums.dailyfx.com/free...67-free-strategy-trader-historical-data.html.

-Jason

6. warcious

warcious

I red an older post of yours where you describe that you have been using Ensign Software to trade Forex?!?
    What I am trying to do is develop a script for Ensign that would execute trades triggered by lines I draw inside Ensign, and later send them through the IB API and IB Gateway in order to execute my trades on the IB (interactive brokers) platform. Is that something you would know anything about?

Thank you,
    Warcious

7. Stok

Stok

Hi Warciuos,

I used to use Ensign, but have long moved to Ninja due to being able to trade off charts.

8. doggyfx

doggyfx

Maybe TradingView? Use it in combination with Hotforex, works good for me.

9. warcious

warcious

Hi Stok,

Yes, I use Ninjatrader as well, but Ninjatrader does not support trading with FX Options.
    Are you interesting in telling me more about how you integrated Ensign with IB API in order to trade of charts? Would be interesting to hear how you made it work.

10. warcious

warcious

Hi Stok,
    Yes, I have done the very same, but you can still not trade FX future option with ninjatrader. Would love to hear more how you solved the Ensign vs IB connectivity.

#10     Dec 2, 2016