Looking for a Developer/Programmer to create a program for mutual use.

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Newmoney24, Jan 22, 2013.

1. hftvol

hftvol

I second that. Furthermore, @Newmoney24: You cite great people in history were visionary and thinkers, right? Sure, they were but they did not stop short at just an idea, they developed sufficient thought "material" behind it in order to get those, who ultimately implemented the idea, going as efficiently as possible. What you are saying here is like "hey, I have the idea to create "gorilla glass", a surface for mobile phone that is scratch resistant. So, guys come to me I cannot pay you anything, but you got the pleasure to do all the testing, research, development and come up with the actual product and I reap the benefits because I came up with the idea." That is not how it works I am afraid to tell you.

In quant finance space, programmers are one of your most valuable resources. I program but I am by far not as good as a professional coder who knows the ins and outs of concurrent programming, who is on top of the newest technological developments in parallel and concurrent programming space. I am a trained trader and understand the market and come up with trading ideas and strategies in higher frequency space but I cannot just say "hey guys, I got an idea to capture short term market inefficiencies, you guys are the blessed few who ought to do all the rest of the work".

#21     Jan 29, 2013
  2. you can do this in tradelink.org don't even need a programmer

#22     Jan 31, 2013
  3. To the OP:

What gave you the vision to come up with "5 times" and "1%" and show that example?

#23     Jan 31, 2013
  4. hftvol

hftvol

why do you have to inject yourself into EVERY thread there is on this site. I am not talking about differing opinions but an abnormal desire to stir up tensions, disrupt, and hijack the point of each thread? Even you have nothing valuable to add you still reserve the right to pollute the air wherever you set your foot into. What is it with you that makes you hate humans that much? Can't you try to stay just once out of threads where you apparently have not much of value to add? I recognize this is a free board and you can chose as you like, I am just puzzled about your motives. Even the homeless, criminals, the failed and broken generally have a clear motive for their actions (whether it be morally justifiable or not is a different issue) but your motivations simply escape me!!!!!!

#24     Jan 31, 2013
  5. the1

the1

Probably the best statement I've ever read on ET.

#25     Jan 31, 2013
  6. hftvol

hftvol

wait, did you not say that technologies nowadays are inexpensive and that I guess would include funding resources as well. Now, why would anyone with a sound understanding of market dynamics come to you in the first place for, what did you call it, "co-development"? Where is your side of the "co-"? Your post started great but after the first sentence, which you most likely took from somewhere else, it drops off sharply and in the end you come across like the many head hunters, funding source middle-men, and hedge funds who try to talk down those with great ideas, resources, and skills so that development "in cooperation" sounds all the more appealing. In reality it is them who lack new expertise and the ideas to implement them that is why they go out to harvest the ideas of others in often extremely unethical and dishonest ways.

So I wonder, what do you have to offer in any such effort other than your "excess development capacity" which you yourself claimed is not worth much?

I run my own fund employing mostly co-located algorithms, I do A LOT of my own programming, I entirely on my own develop strategies from the conception of the idea down to the last dot of the i. I have someone to help out with administrative issues and employ consultants and project programmers for individual pieces of work.

I cannot second your observations, technology is getting prohibitively expensive, excellent programmers with expertise in financial applications are hardly to be had for less than 300,000 - 400,000 USD nowadays. I concur that a sound understanding of market dynamics is where most value lies but its only one part of a much larger equation. Many great ideas are fleeting and opportunities, especially in algorithmic trading space sometimes only last months, thus the capability to employ new ideas quickly does come at a cost which cannot be omitted.

#26     Jan 31, 2013
  7. themickey

themickey

This stuff is very time consuming, the coming up with ideas, coding, testing, implementing.
    An original idea one has won't just get written and that's the end of it, most likely it will need fine tuning for weeks or even months and possibly binned for mark ii, iii, iv, v, vi, etc.

I suppose if you had lots of money to burn a coder would consider the job, but you would probably want his ideas as well and that's where the coder starts carrying all the load because he has the experience whereas you apparently don't.
    You would need to prove a good track record of profitable trading to be taken seriously.

I'd be surprised if you find a coder under your terms, they don't have the spare time to throw at a ET stranger with grandiose ideas.

#27     Feb 1, 2013
  8. Bingo.

Talk of my people for example. Current backlog is 50.5 strategies (one is half through this process) after moving platforms, that all need to be reprogrammed, validated (does the program work correctly), backtested, optimized, for 15 markets. While one person is trying to come up with new ones.

Just why should I for example believe a post without any backing?

#28     Feb 1, 2013
  9. Why do you have such a narrow focus on the motives of only four groups?

It is great that you do not care about moral justifications; I like that part of you.

This is your 10th day in ET as a member. Congrats!!!!!!

Why do you think an offset MLR with a 1% on one side only is so significant as a five point filter.

I filter(7 AND'ed criteria) from 7000 to 100 in one click and then rank the 100 with one more click. I use an offset sum of DMI+ and DMI- (Welles Wilder) so I only deal with a positive ranking spectrum.

Two clicks.

Another click orders the upcoming (future) trade dates for all 100. As you know, the ranking mentioned above are also in the best money making vectorization, too. The Sharpe Ratio is over 60 as determined by neutral third party vendors who want to do porgramming for others.

The anualized return is 6 doublings of inital captial. The series for this is: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64,. The generic term is position trading. To double 7 trades @ 10% each are done. The duration is about 5 days on average.

Thanks for replying; I didn't want to have to count on the OP.

#29     Feb 1, 2013
  10. I am still looking for someone to work with,
    I am not surprised to see the masses line up in disbelief/doubt, it is the same for my other accomplishments - or really anyone who is successful - and I understand it's not personal.

Regardless I am looking to move forward, if this thread didnt make it clear enough how simple and obvious this strategy is I will elaborate.

This IS the future
    and surely coding isn't that hard

I am considering deferring to Odesk.com to hire a programmer but I don't want you (the coder) to miss this obviously mutually beneficial - and life changing opportunity

skeptics are no matter, I've tested my idea for nearly a year this is not an on-a-moment inspired/untested idea

contact me via PM if you are interested and serious

#30     Feb 3, 2013