Looking for a career in Trading, need help

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by DUDEnoway, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Well if you must know, I'm only 70% invested right now, the other 30% is in cash... and a good 15-20% of that is hedged.

I missed the 07 rally, that was way back when I first started seriously looking at the market, and I didn't have as much cash. I also didn't chase it. I'm the kinda guy who just sits on my hands and waits. Of course, if I had a boss breathing down my neck, things might be different. But I'm not an action junkie.

Yes, I am offering 10k for a god damn job. Up next, I might try to pay my boss my year's salary, just for the experience. Cause from what I see and think, none of my friends made it anywhere, and we all come from good schools.

"I bought my way in..." - Gordon Gecko

#11     Mar 2, 2011
  2. pegasys1

pegasys1

can u do hft? track record?

#12     Mar 2, 2011
  3. I had no idea I wanted to be a money manager until my junior year, or else in high school I would have gone to college in NY or Chicago.

Got the CFA exams coming up too :D

#13     Mar 2, 2011
  4. no offense, but use the search function.

#14     Mar 2, 2011
  5. lol!

might as well get your register your hedge fund now.

"dudenoway FUND L.P"

#15     Mar 2, 2011
  6. what?

#16     Mar 2, 2011
  7. LEAPup

LEAPup

Don isn't one of the snake oil outfits with 10k per student "training." He runs a real B/D, and has some very talented people around him. (I'm not affiliated with Bright Trading, but would consider them, no question.) One doesn't need to be in Chicago or NY to be really good. in fact, the firms that offer some top totch wealth management (for retail investors), I have observed in Dallas, as well as California.

NY isn't the financial power they once were. Chicago has taken over that role imo, but again, you don't have to be with a firm in Chicago to be with a great firm...

I can tell you with ZERO reservation that I will not work in NY (I used to work for Mother Merrill Lynch several years ago in NY.) Nothing against NY at all, but I'm either going to live in a warm semi-arid environment like Arizona or maybe the Florida west coast. I've had my fill of cold weather and other things that tick me off about the north east. liberals, rudeness, over taxation, ignorant laws, I could go on...lol

I'll be in San Diego (La Jolla) this Month, and am counting the days! Lol! After business is over, I'm heading to Scottsdale, AZ to look at the area, properties, etc., BOTH La Jolla and Scottsdale I could handle. NY? Lol! Only for a few days, and to fill up on pizza at almost every meal. Lol!!! Man do I miss great NY pie. And Maverick, let's not start a Chicago vs. NY pizza war here. I actually like both!

Anyhow, enough rambling. I need to get in bed. I'll pm you that prop firm list in the morning.
    LEAPup

#17     Mar 2, 2011
  8. dealmaker

dealmaker

DUDEnoway

03-02-11 03:15 PM

Well I came out of a Tier 1 university in CA and have two degrees, one is in Economics.

I've followed the stock market since my Junior year, and invested my own money in the bottom of 2009 to catch the rally, which I predicted would happen. Now I've got a stellar track record for the past 2 years and launched my own investment management firm.

Here is my question, how do I break into trading with my experience? I want to trade firm capital and gain more experience.

I have my own clients and have been expanding, but it would really help to have a track record with a trading firm, trading millions of dollars so that I can pull the big institutional clients.

Million dollar question: How the hell do I break into a trading firm? I've applied to most of the firms listed on this site, and non have replied back. I also noticed most are in Chicago and NY. I live in SF.

Can anyone pull some strings for me? I will even pay cash up to 10k for a referral that lands me a job in a trading firm.

Thank you

It seems to me the prop firms you are talking about are the prop desks at the banks, Archer Daniels Midland, Chevron etc.. The prop firms on this site are a little different i.e. with most you trade your own money ( some will let you trade their money after training) and you'll have to pay for your own training at the said prop firm.
    There are a couple of such prop firms in SF ( not Bright) but I have seen some one already suggested Bright which is a tier 1 firm.
    You don't need to be in Chicago or NYC to be a trader, some of the largest hedge funds are here in the city eg Farallon, Passport etc. and most of these guys are Stanford grads.
    Good luck hope this helps.

#18     Mar 3, 2011
  9. Rob, your website isn't working.

I'd like to be able to find out about your firm without emailing you, because you would know my identity. If you check out, I will happily contact you personally.

Feel free to PM.

No offense meant, but this is the internet.

[/QUOTE]

#19     Mar 4, 2011
  10. #20     Mar 4, 2011