Look like Emmigrant Bank is going down!

Discussion in 'Economics' started by dandxg, Aug 19, 2009.

1. zdreg

zdreg

correct but the dollars u l get back might be worthless.because of inflation.

#31     Aug 25, 2009
  2. Which means while you wait to recover your funds as FDIC is receiving printed money to take over the failed bank, there will be rapid inflation.

Did you ever think about why it took so long for FDIC to take over Colonial?

#32     Aug 25, 2009
  3. Sure smartass. Invest in hollow mattresses

#33     Aug 25, 2009
  4. zdreg

zdreg

Quote from Anaconda:

You're an ignorant fool.

anaconda may be grumpy but he trades and invests in gold. not hollow mattresses.

#34     Aug 25, 2009
  5. I agree. For that reason, I have kept my $$$ in the US. I had considered Canada, much safer, but for now staying put.

That said the $$$ we get back with be worth less if that happens.

Frankly, I don't trust the ECB much more. They have a world of debt to GDP last time I checked.

Can you really trust any banker, esp. after what has happened recently?:D

I guess it's like the say. 'I would (for now ) rather deal with the devil I know than the one I don't'.

#35     Aug 25, 2009
  6. I play with gold & silver bullion, but that is not my primary activity. I do so to keep growing my bullion stake. It's just rotating inventory when I catch good deals.

I also do keep a lot of cash around. I rarely keep anything significant in the bank. I'm not the type to rely on the government to take care of me. Obviously Darth falls in the other category, hence his blind trust.

#36     Aug 25, 2009
  7. no, it is not a matter of blind trust - just being practical. If $ loses value, it will lose value no matter if it is in "financially solid" bank, "financially shaky" bank, in mattress or whatever. I do believe a bunch of paper money is guaranteed to be returned to you if your bank fails - that's that. If you do not believe in $ and want to keep a substantial portion / all of your $ in gold or whatever, that is fine. Each with his own hedge. BUT, you will not lose your (paper) money because xyz bank went down - that's all.

#37     Aug 25, 2009
  8. If the ATM & CC networks get shut down because banks won't process payments and need a special holiday, will you still think you're being practical? Trust in FDIC = trust in the US government = being blind.

You can laugh all you want, but it is pretty obvious that the banking system is insolvent with the government authorizing trillions of dollars to backstop them.

Regardless, Cash is King and I like being as liquid as possible.

#38     Aug 25, 2009