Look, college grad turns down 40K job.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by noob_trad3r, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Political History Major is for kids with wealthy well-connected parents! Or for morons with huge egos who think that they are too good to do any real work in the real world.

#11     Jul 8, 2010
  2. So simple its hard for many people to understand.

#12     Jul 9, 2010
  3. What a nonsense article.

No, little Scotty had a job and could have easily achieved the American dream but little Scotty wants the American dream on his terms not the conditions he is faced with, hence he's unemployed.

I doubt his grandfather had envisioned himself working in a factory his entire life either but he did it.

And what kind of training did he recieve as a Political History Major anyways? He memorized and regurgitated?

When Scotty's dad found out he should have given the little bastard a spanking.

#13     Jul 9, 2010
  4. This kid doesn't need money, he's living off his folks. When he needs money, he'll take some crap job and constantly complain to his coworkers about how he had to take this crap job when he has all this fancy schooling.

Having a resume show up at 11am says one of two things; "I have no job and just rolled out of bed" or "I'm farting around on the internet at my current employer and will do the same to you". Better an 8pm timestamp.

#14     Jul 10, 2010
  5. What a Bum. I remember when I was 13 helping my dad deliver newspapers between 10 and 2 am twice a week and going to school in the mornings, we needed to make ends meet and this was one of the extra ways to make money.

I think the problem is Upper middle class children in the US are growing very soft and pampered and out of touch with the world.

#15     Jul 10, 2010
  6. You guys are too harsh. If he has debt, he should have taken the job. Otherwise, waiting may be a better option.

When I graduated, I graduated into a recession. I took the first job I could find, and it was terrible. It took me 3 -years- to get back on track. Then, I found out I needed more school, went back to graduate school, came out, and landed into another recession. Fortunately, I found work but taking the wrong first job is costly, and it is not a matter of just applying to another job because you get labeled a job hopper.

Fighting the job-hopper distinction is not easy, and not always easy to explain your way out of.

#16     Jul 10, 2010
  7. I am disgusted, but not by the decision made by this kid, but by how our educational institutions have brain washed our kids into thinking that once they graduate from university, they will have high-paying jobs.

I understand that it is how universities make money (lots and lots of money, even in recession), but this kind of deception is just wrong in business.

Seriously, from an employer's perspective, there is very little value of hiring a fresh graduate who lack the work-related soft skills, and lacked humbleness--an important quality to have in order to work with peoples. It doesn't matter is they are the best in their class and have obtained many awards. Without an MBA or a PHD, their resumes will always be out-shined by others who have obtained these graduate/post graduate degree.

Shame on these educational institutions! I hope the hedge funds will lose all of their money!

PA

#17     Jul 10, 2010
  8. aegis

aegis

I'm within this age bracket (25), and most of my middle-class peers wouldn't think twice before accepting a $40k/year job offer.

His parents obviously have money, so he could afford to hold out for a better position. However, choosing the wrong path directly out of college could severely impact your career in certain industries. For instance, accounting majors who opt for regional firms over the Big 4 will have a tough time getting hired by Fortune 500 companies.

#18     Jul 10, 2010