Look At These Trace Charts Comparing Now and 1966

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ByLoSellHi, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Yes, let's look back at 40+ yr old charts despite the fact the world and economy has changed signifigantly since then :confused:

#21     Mar 22, 2007
  2. If you think there's anything new under the sun then you're doomed to make the mistakes of the past.....

#22     Mar 22, 2007
  3. Pabst, very true!

Unfortunately, I have noticed that there are a TON of "newbies" on ET lately that enjoy making broad sweeping generalizations that have no basis in fact, not too mention come from a very poor understanding of the basic "mechanics" of the markets.

Yes, the world has changed.
    But the markets are still rooted in psychology and moved by sentiment and perception. - - - Basic human characteristics that will endure the test of time.

#23     Mar 22, 2007
  4. nice find & research.........pay no attention to that dope ST3.....like someone else said........Tudor Jones template & research is what gave him the courage to go big & flat out clean up.............thanks for sharing.

#24     Mar 22, 2007
  5. You don't even have to go that far to see self similarities in fractal nature of stocks.
    Here's 6mo bull periods of 0ct-Apr last year (transparent) with 6 mo period aug-feb into this year overlaid. See any similarities?

#25     Mar 22, 2007
  6. blast19

blast19

Not like the other chart. I'm not giving it credibility, but the other chart had much more in common than your chart...it was almost exact ascents and descents and only really moderately different in percentage of moves...not direction it seemed.

#26     Mar 22, 2007
  7. Mvic

Mvic

Look at the 1987 SPX chart also. Notice any similarities?

#27     Mar 23, 2007
  8. I'm not bearish, not in dollars. Unlike the perma bears, I have a full grasp of the concept of asset inflation and inflation in general.

I can also understand that this market has not really appreciated much if anything. It needs to do 10% a year just to stay even, if not 15%+.

Private equity sector carries no debt or leverage. It's the companies they bought but they are PRIVATE so it's really none of the market's business. The whole scheme needs at least a couple years to fully unfold.

It is different this time, it's more elaborate and multi-step. It's not just a simple conglomerate boom like in the 1960s but there are a lot of similiarities.

#28     Mar 23, 2007
  9. "You don't even have to go that far to see self similarities in fractal nature of stocks.
    Here's 6mo bull periods of 0ct-Apr last year (transparent) with 6 mo period aug-feb into this year overlaid. See any similarities?

Attachment: nassim1.jpg"

Looking more like that overlay. Interesting thing is everyone was so excited by possibility of rate cut, but why aren't they yelling about how a market drop usually PRECEDES rate cuts.

#29     Mar 26, 2007
  10. Who can put up a quick trace chart of the markets since this was posted and overlay it with the 1966 chart?

Thanks.

#30     Mar 28, 2007