Look At These Trace Charts Comparing Now and 1966

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ByLoSellHi, Mar 21, 2007.

1. #11     Mar 21, 2007

2. Those are even better.

I honestly find the almost perfect overlap between these charts eerie.

I don't know if such almost perfect overlays between such divergent time periods is common or not.

#12     Mar 21, 2007
  3. Sounds like mucho dubious pseudo-science to me...

1). High positive correlation does not imply causality.
    2). Correlations can be spurious.
    3). Correlations are not stationary and in significant market events (when you are expecting the magic of diversification to protect you) correlations amongst multiple asset classes tend to approach + or - 1.
    4). Fooled by correlation: http://www.gummy-stuff.org/perfect-correlation.htm

#13     Mar 21, 2007
  4. Correlation analysis is one of the few reliable tools in my shed.

Yet everything you say is very perceptive.....and very true.

I will say that technical work such as these charts posted by BLSH is more interesting than fundamental correlations.

Case in point: What if you were a bond trader and you correctly forecast $700 gold and $80 crude. In what universe would you then price the Long Bond at under 5%?

And those are intermarket relationships with correlations rooted in pretty common sense theory. Yet, wrongo.

Or in what world would one presume multi year dollar lows in Euro land occurring simultaneously as multi year dollar highs in Asia?

Or the recent pop in Unleaded while crude chops?

Or 4.50 corn and only 7.25 beans?

Who in 1989 would have forseen the the Dow briefly crossing the Nikkei a little over a decade later?

I agree Equalizer, spreads are the biggest potential blow up trade around. I love them.

#14     Mar 21, 2007
  5. The world is awash in crude, but not refinery capacity. And awash in soybeans in storage but not acerage. Imbalances create opportunity.

#15     Mar 22, 2007
  6. No it's not a coincidence.

1960s experienced a bull/bubble market due to a conglomerate M&A boom.
    This type it's the LBO boom, as well as some M&A consolidation activity.

Similiar dynamics, very similiar. I wouldn't say that the chart action will repeat itself exactly, however.

#16     Mar 22, 2007
  7. blast19

blast19

#17     Mar 22, 2007
  8. Tight stops and a volatile market never seem to work out.

#18     Mar 22, 2007
  9. If this market follows that '66 pattern, it will be incredible.

#19     Mar 22, 2007
  10. S2007S

S2007S

I didnt think you were bearish hydro,

I would be quite worried about the private equity sector and the amount of debt and leverage they are carrying.

#20     Mar 22, 2007