Look At These Trace Charts Comparing Now and 1966

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ByLoSellHi, Mar 21, 2007.

1. I'm newly bullish (wishy washy), but from the 'things that make you go "hmmm" category.'

[​IMG]

S&P 500 Performance Before Bear Markets: Today's Market Resembles 1966

Posted on Mar 21st, 2007 with stocks: IVV, SPY

Birinyi's Ticker Sense submits: Last week we compared sector performance now versus their performance leading up to bear markets. Today we compare how the S&P 500 has performed over the last eighteen months, with the comparable period leading up to each of the bear markets since 1962.

Of the eight prior periods we examined, we found that the current period bears little resemblance to the most recent five, while a case can be made that the earliest three periods bear some similarity to the present. Just as we found in our sector study (and was pointed out in the comments section of last week's post), it appears as though the 1966 period has the most in common with today.

http://usmarket.seekingalpha.com/article/30290

2. blast19

blast19

That is something amazing.

3. Seeking alpha es el crapo. It is almost as bad as barrons, The Street, and Bloomberg

4. What are you talking about?

It's got the broadest selection of articles, short and sweet, with accompanying charts and linked info, as anything I've come across.

I love it because I can rip through it in about 20 minutes each morning, and get the pulse of that day.

And Bloomberg is great.

You have issues. El closo your moutho.

5. There are tons of articles but a lot of the analysis is simply flawed and should be taken with a huge grain of salt. The charts look similar but that was from 1966. It is just a coincidence.

6. S2007S

S2007S

Bylo you going bullish has me worried.

Im still bearish and will probably turn bullish when the dow just completely falls apart. By that time I'll be long and guess what will happen??? Will enter into one of the longest bear markets and ill be sitting there averaging down every day until im even. I see more downside, im not listing the reasons since most already know why, I do trade on the long side, but im set up for any drop like we had on the 27th.

7. I never said it was anything other than a coincidence and either did the authors.

It's interesting. Look at how similar the pattern is.

Lighten up.

8. Honestly, I am going all in with some relatively tight stops.

If I get burned, I'd rather have it now, before we retest, and possibly blow right through the highs on a retracement.

I am very worried about corporate earnings and the overall economy, but as long as we have a paper tiger federal reserve, and bullish sentiment, I'm joining the party (with trailing stops).

9. S2007S

S2007S

he gets worried when you talk about the market dropping.

10. dhyde

dhyde

"There are tons of articles but a lot of the analysis is simply flawed and should be taken with a huge grain of salt. The charts look similar but that was from 1968.."

Tell that to Jones in late October of '87

#10     Mar 21, 2007