Longer Term trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by bignatty, Apr 6, 2005.

1. bignatty

bignatty

Anyone here position trade from a week to a few months. If so what are your tools, TA, fundamentals or a combination. Also, while it has been discussed the average return of daytraders and making 100% a year, what is considered an attainable goal for a position trader? Just a discussion.

2. bignatty

bignatty

Seems like people are thinking more along these lines lately. Any thoughts?

3. gkishot

gkishot

Average return of 100% a year? Since most of them are done trading after 2-3 years because of the stress this does not make it in my mind a good statistics.

4. I might make anywhere from 1 % per year to 200 % per year depending on how much risk I can tolerate. Remember greater risk means greater losing streaks. I use simple trend following systems such as Bollinger Band. http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76087. The risk level used is probably as important as the method used, perhaps more important.

5. newbunch

newbunch

Minimum holding time is a week. Maximum is a few years.

6. Although this is a old thread that got activated again...

I position trade (holding a position several weeks to months or longer) a few times per year and only via market seasonal patterns and a little TA for timing into the market seasonal tendency.

The goal of my position trade is to stay in the trade until either the market seasonal tendency has completed or until I've reached a particular profit target that has nothing to do with dollar amount nor % number.

When one of the above is reached...I begin scaling out of the position in trying to use the remainders to milk the trend sort'uv speak.

However, I'm mainly a day trader.

Mark