Long Vega and Long Theta

Discussion in 'Options' started by samer1, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Sure, but it's not long vega/theta at inception.

#11     Feb 28, 2012
  2. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

It would have a small positive or neutral Vega, depending on the strikes you choose and skew. Since equity options rarely expand without and up coming event or a down market, this is the best I could do with the question asked.

#12     Feb 28, 2012
  3. Is "pure arbitrage" an acceptable strategy? You can buy an option on one exchange and short-sell the same option on another exchange at a higher price....I believe it satisfies your desire for the positive vega and theta.....if you have the execution capability to trade in that manner. :cool:

#13     Feb 28, 2012
  4. I mined for it and can't rind any short backspreads with sufficient skew to net out a +vega. I found some flies, however.

#14     Feb 28, 2012

5. There is only one situation that I can think of that will trade as the OP would like, and it would be a rare trade. Since the OP didn't give a ticker this trade would best be explained with a XYZ example and estimated option prices. I prefer real examples, but this will do for a quick demo.

• The stock would be a biotechnology stock
    • XYZ at $20.00
    • Sell 1 contract of 21c/19p options. Credit $4.00
    • Buy 4 contracts of 25c/15p options. Debt $2.00
    • Total credit $2.00
    • Scenario one: XYZ trades flat, $2.00 profit.
    • Scenario two: XYZ submits to FDA for drug approval, IV goes way up affecting the deeper OTM options the most.

#15     Feb 28, 2012
  6. You're flatlined. No brain-activity. Not only ignorant beyond measure but dangerous.

#16     Feb 28, 2012
  7. sonoma

sonoma

Why are calendars excluded?

#17     Feb 28, 2012
  8. lol.

#18     Feb 29, 2012
  9. samer1

samer1

The reason why I am looking for a positive vega, positive theta trade is to benefit from the increase in IV due to upcoming earnings. The objective is to construct vega positive trades that have at least theta decay as possible... The best would be to have it theta positive.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Samer

#19     Feb 29, 2012
  10. term structure risk I would guess.

#20     Feb 29, 2012