Long term short Microsoft

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Mecro, Apr 23, 2003.

1. SubEtha

SubEtha

Linux will never beat microsoft.
    If it ever came close, I'm sure you'd see a Microsoft Linux Distribution.

Linux might make inroads on the server end, but as far as home use, it has never come close to catching on.
    Hard core programmers love linux, but they are an extreme minority.

Like balmer said to Gates of IBM in the 80's,
    "Ride the bear, don't fight it" (paraphrased)

I wouldn't short MSFT.

SubEtha

#22     Apr 24, 2003
  2. nitro

nitro

No, your analysis is not correct. I will be back after the markets close to respond.

nitro

#23     Apr 24, 2003
  3. I have spent 20 plus years in Unix based Fin. Engineering (aside of my trading) I have also contracted at MSFT in 1986.

Refraining from regurgitating obvious facts (like MSFT makes crap and they are a monopoly)
    shorting them would be like taking a shotgun and blowing your balls off.
    For me they would have to prove that the company is going down....before I would stick my neck out..and short them.

First, the stockmarkets has a long bias and stocks are manipulated by the large MM's and the company herself.
    What would you do if you shorted MSFT and they announce a
    2 dollar dividend now when the bank pays widows 1.5%?
    You see..

#24     Apr 24, 2003
  4. ges

ges

WRONG! Klugey mess at best.

disclaimer...I HATE MICROSOFT!

:p

#25     Apr 24, 2003
  5. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

.... Like I said, you need to know what you are doing. Every OS or app platform looks like a mess until you understand it at some depth. As far as "klugey" goes ... it isn't that much worse than Unix based systems which are also collections of subsystems which were not developed simultaneously. The internals of Unix systems have their share of poorly architectured components and security holes.

Again, a good look at the financials of the major Software and services vendors would help to answer your questions regarding how each is faring in the current environment.

#26     Apr 24, 2003
  6. lundy

lundy

my favorite desktop was BEOS. but they lack the funding or marketing, or desire to compete with Microsoft.

i hate MS too, but i'm typing this from internet explorer on a XP machine.

:mad:

#27     Apr 24, 2003
  7. ges

ges

I wouldn't base a short trade on that article, but I did find it fascinating. There is no doubt the author is anti-MS, and there are some real wild rumors included, but a lot of the information is solid and undeniable. It is in everybody's interest to loosen MS's control of the industry.

I remember when AT&T was busted up, peopled wailed and moaned about how telecommunications was ruined and would never be the same. Can you IMAGINE where we'd be now if that hadn't happened? OR maybe it was inevitable that ATT would have lost it's stranglehold. Still, I wish our govt hadn't caved on MS.

I've used both Apple and Wintel machines since....well since the beginning...had an Apple IIe, later Macs and also one of the first IBM PCs. It always amazed me how smart MS was at marketing their crappy stuff. Remember Windows 3.1? They managed to convince a lot of users that it was better than the Mac interface...what a joke!

g

#28     Apr 24, 2003
  8. Mecro

Mecro

You guys should read the article first. A lot of the issues you bring up are covered in it. Read carefully about their License agreements. It is not fanatical as MS slave...ooops CalTrader says. It simply states the truth and is very well supported with citations and links (CalTrader do you know what citations are?)

It makes very good points regarding that MS needs non stop growth to make cash. They rely on new additions and upgrade, which is where License 6 comes in which would rape businesses. Then comes .NET which would rape them even more.
    Granted, top management in USA are complete morons that will still sign up, but after some raping, I do not think MS is going to have much left. Once thats gone, what does MS have? Lot of cash, a lot of lawsuits and a bunch of money losing projects. Also, a lot of stock options that will be cashed out within days.

Whether this situation is likely or not, does not matter. MS is nowhere in the same position they were before the DOJ. As time goes on, more and more people/businesses learn to distrust MS and their scumbag practices. And it's pretty obvious how "well" MS performs in a competitive environment. So how long will MS's stranglehold last before their monopoly and even dominating presence is shattered? As dumb as Americans seem, they are not dumb enough to allow themselves to be raped that much (I hope)
    Thats why I think MS deserves a very long term short. Since it's obvious they cannot hack it in a real business environment, what are they really worth? Some lawsuit money?

CalTrader, honestly I think you are completely full of shit. I doubt you even know what DOS is, or how to compare companies on financial analysis. Doubt you have ever worked in technology because if you have, you are the first person ever that I have heard to prefer MS technology over open source in real business or even at home for that matter. Also, all I see if you claiming great untouchable knowledge, but I see none of it. I doubt you even fully comprehend what financial analysis did because if you did, you would realize that MS is in its own category and cannot be compared to REAL companies like SunW and IBM. Honestly, tell me, do you even understand what a monopoly is? Oh yeah I do not know crap, I only work in an investment bank at nights and work on financial analysis for hours.

Or me thinks you are just an MS whore. Have some friends like that who supposedely knew computer technology so well and loved MS but then I slowly found out they do not know crap.

#29     Apr 24, 2003
  9. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

Ah... Now I understand .... You truly have proved your point.

Post some hard analysis and better facts rather than opinion and weak references and then perhaps sombody will care .....

Good luck with your trades, and I hope that you successfully unwind your position.

I'm glad the board has an ignore function ....

#30     Apr 24, 2003