Long stock + short put options: How is this strategy called?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by crgarcia, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Question? Are you Stock_blokes love child?

#11     Jun 22, 2007
  2. ... just a little boost, yet don't want to get completely into options trading.

#12     Jun 22, 2007
  3. I still think selling OTM calls agaisnt your stock is a better play but that is just my opinion and there are others much better with options than me on here.

#13     Jun 22, 2007
  4. My thought is that you should rethink trading until you understand that short puts equal a long position. not being critical, just that it makes sense to fully understand the option concepts.

c

#14     Jun 22, 2007
  5. asap

asap

i said synthetic covered call (ratioed).

a naked put is a synthetic covered call. since besides the naked put, there is also long stock position involved, the overall position is a ratio synthetic covered call.

iow the position is syntetically equivalent to long stock and short a ratio of calls.

i dont understand the fuzz, this is a viable strategy, it entails long delta and short vega. probably is much better than any vol spreads or pure gamma scalping bet that carry extremely negative expectancy.

#15     Jun 22, 2007
  6. It's known as a "Confidence Spread". You're confident that the stock will go up and then you'll make money on both sides of the spread.

#16     Jun 22, 2007
  7. Yep, I know shorting puts is a bullish strategy...

... that also makes some money if the stock (ETF in my case) doesn't move, profiting from time value.

#17     Jun 22, 2007
  8. Just an example of how selling a naked put has the same "risk reward" as a covered write.

Assume stock is $40.

Assume both calls and puts are trading at $2.00

Buy stock at $40. Sell call for $2.00
    Maximum profit is $2.00
    Maximum loss is $38.00 (if stock goes to zero).

Sell naked $40 put.
    Maximum profit = $2.00
    Maximum loss is $38.00 (if stock goes to zero).

This is why Wade Cook's teachings were so flawed. Why pay interst to buy stock?

Collect $$ from put sale instead, save both interest and transaction cost.

Now, if you already have a stock (or ETF, whatever), then sure, why not sell some time premium.

FWIW,

Don

#18     Jun 22, 2007
  9. Long x spot and short x+n calls? No.

#19     Jun 22, 2007
  10. Funny you berate someone for not understanding options. Short puts do not equal a long stock position. For them to be the same, they would need to behave the same, which they don't.

For starters, a long stock position has unlimited upside, whereas a short put does not. Their risk graphs are entirely different.

#20     Jun 22, 2007