Long OTM call calendars hedge

Discussion in 'Options' started by 312, Apr 27, 2018.

1. 312

Using long OTM call calendars on equity indices to increase diversification in a net long equities portfolio.

To clarify: increase diversification in terms of long vol during a crash, not in terms of adding names to the portfolio through the spreads.

Is this an efficient way to carry a long vol position intended as a hedge? As opposed to, say, long straddles? What is the downside? What's a better alternative (including correlation-based hedges instead of vol-based)?

Thanks

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

This type of spread would lose money in a market that moves away from the long calendar strike. It has a long delta.

312 likes this.
  3. 312

Thank you. That is correct -- are you saying the delta effect would override the vol effect, though?

If so, there has to be an ideal time spread between the two legs to adjust for this, maybe?

Maybe on a defensive basket, such as utilities, to minimize deltas during a correction? What's the cheapest way to carry a long vol and/or long correlation position?

Maybe a ratio calendar where I'm short 2x front and long 1x long-term and hedge any short delta with the longs already in the book? Maybe hedging the long delta position with futures?

I'm trying to identify long vol and/or long correlation strats with low negative carry to overlay on a long vanilla equities book.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  4. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

If you want to be long vol for a hedge then don’t sell any vol against it. Those positions get very tricky.

312 likes this.
  5. 312

Thanks. Agree it's tricky, I'm not looking for market-maker precision, just something that is broadly right and doesn't blow up, that affords me to increase leverage a little bit.

Ideally a simpler version of a [short vol, long variance] swap.

6. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

When you have a hedge it’s really important the hedge perform when you need it to perform. For that, you need the precision if you are spreading vol because the second and third order vol effects become the relevant ones.

312 likes this.
  7. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

That is my expectation as front month-which you are short, expands faster than the back month and the spread will have a +delta.

Reformed Trader and 312 like this.
  8. 312

Fair. So hedge the deltas with futures, then? Or lean towards a put calendar? (or straddles... or something long correlation)

9. truetype

truetype

The never-ending search for free put options...

312 likes this.
  10. 312

Ha. Note I said cheap, not free. I think it can be accomplished if I need it to "broadly" work in an already diversified book. I'm not looking for air-tight protection, rather something with similar protection levels to long treasuries or long CHF that is cheap to carry.

#10     Apr 27, 2018