Long only Traders

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Joovenile Jatt, Aug 5, 2010.

1. ammo

ammo

only trade short, biased that this mrkt will puke big soon and be positioned short, confident that it wont rally big and kill the acct, miss all the upside moves, dont mind that, but it would make sense to say that a long or short only TRADER would be missing half the trades, a long only INVESTOR(Buffet) is a different story, since they cant go short with stock

#31     Aug 8, 2010
  2. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

American securities have been trading in a large channel for most of the year and its interesting when the bottom of the channel was tested all we heard was the "sky is falling" and "double dip" on the news media. Predictably many strong stocks rallied since. Easy money on some situations going long. These market "experts" are always reporting what already happened like its the future, so they are wrong well more then 50% of the time.

I don't take a long or short bias before each day the market decides that for me. What I have noticed is shorting opportunities are harder to identify and time but hugely profitable if you catch them. So I think shorting is a harder game
    unless you are well capitalized. Given that a "long only" strategy might be appropriate but only if you are willing to sit out many days and do nothing.

#32     Aug 8, 2010
  3. JeffUSA

JeffUSA

You need to get the bias out of your head.

You could go short and long multiples times in a day if that is your timeframe.

Turn off the TV. Stop reading the news and just focus on the charts.

#33     Aug 8, 2010
  4. Did your charts tell you to go long when the death cross ocurred? [​IMG]
    NO! The fundamentals told you to go long! [​IMG]

#34     Aug 8, 2010
  5. NoDoji

NoDoji

WTF is a death cross and when did it occur???

#35     Aug 8, 2010
  6. Dont know why its completely opposite for me, short opportunities are pretty easy to spot and exploit..

Long positions are pretty easy to spot on the fact if i think its still prime for shorting, if not i go long..

#36     Aug 8, 2010
  7. Are you tired of losing money in the market? Are you disappointed with Fund Managers just sticking to the index or just rely on their instinct and not to proven strategies? Are you annoyed with the intransparency, hidden fees, soft dollar agreements etc. of your Fund? Would you like to have the same competitive edge as some of the most successful traders and investors on Wall Street?

* Ranking the strongest markets on a weekly basis
    * No need to worry about the timing of your investment
    * Strong trends and a low portfolioturnover ratio will minimize your transaction costs
    * No hidden fees, soft dollar agreements or discrimination of your portfolio compared to other advisories
    * Lower volatility of your Portfolio compared to the underlying index
    * Remarkable results!
    * Are you a longterm investor? The WSC GEMS will help you to protect your portfolio on time
    * Are you a Short Seller? The WSC GEMS will help you to cover your Short Positions
    * WSC Global ETF Momentum Strategy is focused on Capital Preservation and is either totally invested in equities or in cash (100/0) and therefore may lock in profits even if a uptrend exists
    * The idea is to buy the whole market (ETF, Futures, Structured Product, Options, heavy weighted stocks in that particular Index etc) as WSC GEMS is a top down driven approach

#37     Aug 8, 2010
  8. if you're a 100% long only trader, and trade for a long time (10+ years) you will experience a black swan

#38     Aug 9, 2010
  9. As defined by Carl Swenlin of decisionpoint.com, a death cross occurs when the 50 day EMA crosses under the 200 day EMA. Swenlin prefers the EMA instead of the SMA. When the death cross occurred, he gave a sell signal, at which point, the pros went long and the rally started.
    I stayed long. [​IMG]

#39     Aug 9, 2010
  10. JeffUSA

JeffUSA

That's interesting. I never heard of the term "Death Cross" before. In my opinion, that signal is too "slow" and too "long term" for me. I don't really see it as being useful.

#40     Aug 9, 2010