Long Iron Condor or Call calendar ?

Discussion in 'Options' started by pengw, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Pinozi

Pinozi

Hasnt happened to me yet

*knocks on wood

but Im always aware of the risks of playing those vega and gamma games in expiry week. Mind you just being aware doesnt mean they wont bite you in the ass

#11     Aug 6, 2009
  2. Hey,

Why are the mods letting these guys promote their little web app?

I complained to the mods, but with no result.

Stop polluting this forum with such crapola, please.

There are many other better and free ways to anaylze option trades, with as many "legs:" as you could fathom.

What are you guys selling? Hits, IP logging, points with the almighty. (Hey, that guy doesn't care)

#12     Aug 6, 2009
  3. pengw

pengw

I always try to close the short legs when opportunity presents. I regret much more if I did not do so.

Here is one example, when I did a Call calendar on GLD earlier this year, my short calls drop from 1.7 to 0.15 after less than a week I sold them. I thought about offsetting it, but since it was only less than 3 days to the exp. date, I decided to let it exp.

What happened ? The Fed annouced they were going to buy 300B worth of T-bonds, the GLD jumps, the near calls went up from 0.15 to over 2 in a few minutes. I did not lose any because it was Calendar spread but 95% of the profit were gone.

#13     Aug 6, 2009
  4. pengw

pengw

To SteveGoTex,

Do you mind offering the links to the tools you just mentioned ?

That will help everyone.

#14     Aug 6, 2009
  5. I agree with TEX—

Peng and his web-promo is becoming almost a serious nuisance. If he wants to know of other, and much much better option-software, he can download for free the ThinkOrSwim application from www.thinkorswim.com for paper trade (even accessing real-20 minute delayed data on paper mode), or the free OptionsOracle from www.samoasky.com/ --- just to name a couple. So I too hope he will soon stop or be banned.

~Bben

#15     Aug 6, 2009
  6. Here is one I used prior to moving to the ToS platform:

http://www.samoasky.com/

Just checked, it's still free and recently updated.

#16     Aug 6, 2009
  7. pengw

pengw

The Options Lab is also free for private use. We are adding new features to it several times a week.

#17     Aug 8, 2009