Long Iron Butterfly, Long Iron Condor, Wrangles and their Synthetics: Risk, Reward, G

Discussion in 'Options' started by CPTrader, May 24, 2004.

1. Long or short gamma? Where is the peak of the P&L distribution? That's an impossible task for short gamma/+expectation. If you were to sell deep otm call and put spreads the credit received would be miniscule.

#51     May 24, 2004

2. That is precisely the issue with deep OTM put/call spreads, you receive negligible credit.

As per being long or short gamma, preferably long gamma, but indiffireent as long as the position does not have an unlimited loss profile. The P & L distribution should roughly peak in the middle of 60% of the range

#52     May 24, 2004
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

With no risk comes no reward. I'm sorry, but this is the reality of option trading.

#53     May 24, 2004
  4. No risk, no rewrad, that's traidng, atht;s life.

do I take this to mean that it is impossible to create the position I desire. If so, is there an approximate option position that would meet the previously stated specs?

#54     May 24, 2004
  5. The position would need to resemble a wrangle or backspread, but you're talking a -expectation. If you're ok with that then a call/put backspread(wrangle) would be the best fit. Limited gamma/vega risk; far less than a long straddle or strangle.

There is no +expectation trade that satisfies your req.

#55     May 24, 2004
  6. when you say +expectation, I presume you mean high probability of being profitable/short gamma?? In that vein, wouldn't a long straddle/starngle, have a -expectaion, or do I misunderstand you?

With a wrangle, using my example of a 1025/1145 range and undeRLying at 1106 what strikes would you consider appropriate to construct the wrangle position. Thanks a lot.

#56     May 24, 2004
  7. right, a long straddle has a -expectation. I was contrasting the risks of one -expectation trade with another(wrangle vs. straddle)

#57     May 24, 2004
  8. What's a good source for historical options data (futures and indices) that includes greeks and options prices?

#58     May 25, 2004