Long Iron Butterfly, Long Iron Condor, Wrangles and their Synthetics: Risk, Reward, G

Discussion in 'Options' started by CPTrader, May 24, 2004.

1. It's on the way, my friend. :cool:

#31     May 24, 2004
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

Generally if you pay a debit, you are long the spread and if you receive a credit, you are short the spread. This is the general rule of thumb.

#32     May 24, 2004
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

Sorry guys I was busy today. It looks like the option threads have been pretty busy today. A wrangle is a backspread.

#33     May 24, 2004
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

A wrangle.

#34     May 24, 2004
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

A short iron condor is long the body, short the wings. This can be used as a great short volty play.

#35     May 24, 2004
  6. A short iron is vega positive, is it not?

#36     May 24, 2004
  7. I thought it was achieved by being long the wings and short the body e.g. selling a strangle and buying an outer strangle... or selling a bull put spread and selling a bear call spread ?

#37     May 24, 2004
  8. I thought a wrangle is a call backspread combined with a put backspread.

#38     May 24, 2004
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

Actually I think you are right, I posted too quick earlier. I never use the term short iron condors. I was thinking of just a short condor. Semantics will kill you on this board. LOL

#39     May 24, 2004

10. Alright now I am getting confused.
    so many different notations and conventions...

What is this: long strangle at the wings, short body strangle - LONG OR SHORT IRON CONDOR

What is this: short strangle at the wings, long body strangle - LONG OR SHORT IRON CONDOR.

Where do you receive a credit - Long or Short Iron condor.

I have seen both referred to as long or short by different traders, authors...is there no convention?

#40     May 24, 2004