London, UK is not cool anymore - I'm leaving

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Brendan R, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Poor Brendan.

The day the Mithras was demolished many moons ago, now that was a sad day.

The fx boys in the basement, the 5/8 1/2 sterling depos in the upstairs bar.

#41     Sep 3, 2008
  2. Quality of life is different to different people.

Someone who enjoys the big city and has grown up/accustomed with all the entertainment and diversity that a big metropolitan area offers - would most times value these attributes highly.

On the other hand, someone who grew up going fishing, hiking outdoors, being around animals or beautiful landscapes and fresh air - they would immensely value that sense of freedom, less crime and environment for raising kids.

There are some common factors like security, job opportunities, cost of living etc.

With regards to weather, I for one - coming from Europe and now living in a tropical country like Brazil - there is something to be said for both warm and cold weather. I like windsurfing and being able to hang out on the beach every day. However, I also enjoy not feeling the bothersome heat sometimes, and all the parasites, diseases and health issues in tropical countries really sucks.

I think the best thing about weather is to be able to have variation at will. I think it's best to live somewhere temperate, but have sun and beaches within reasonable travelling distance. The best would be if you could have any comfortable climate close by - like by the French Riviera or similar.

When it comes to business opportunities and entrepreneurship - no question that emerging markets offers the most potential and easiest opportunities. However, there is a lot of difficulties - legislation, corruption and inefficiencies one might not be used to handling. That increases the stress levels and frustration like nothing else.

When it comes to social services like education and health - there is no question that the developed countries and large metropolitan areas offer the best in terms of attending serious illnesses. If you are thinking about old age - you would perhaps prefer a more rustic, nice temperate and calm environment, but it really depends on where you are coming from and what agrees with you, I guess.

So, in my view - you go where your current situation is most favourable, and as long as you are free to travel and do business many places, it should be easy to sift through the choices. For settling down - no doubt a stable environment without the big threats from nature or social/neighbouring conflict is preferable. Doing business - do it where it makes most sense - it's politically and technologically possible to undertake many types of projects outside your own country or area of residency, but you need to fully understand the dynamics of where you want to do business and the people there.

I do business with people from Europe, but am living in Brazil for the time being. That works out for me - still. I would not like to do business primarily with Brazilians... hehe, for many obvious reasons, but it's also because I'm in the IT sector again. As an investor in equities - it really doesn't matter that much where you live, as long as you have the information and communication access that you need.

#42     Sep 3, 2008
  3. "A pair of quadruple whiskies and another pair of pints please"

#43     Sep 3, 2008
  4. Come on boys- it was the Engish that devoped the " flushing toilet"-Sir issac Newton-without which gravity- would not make sense-and neither the nuchlear physics- which was a complement of newtons work- or was that " william tell" who got a apple shot off his head- unlikely.. and " sir frank whittle" the deveoper of the jet engine- so " be proud to be english"

#44     Sep 3, 2008
  5. The UK and more specifically London is victim of its success. It became a magnet for lots of different types of ambitions, from the immigrant wanting to make it big to the wealthy Russian looking for a safe heaven.

Again, let me repeat it, London was great 8 to 10 years ago.

Unfortunately, years of mismanagement and lack of leadership from people in charge have sunk the place.

Now that times are turning bad we can see the extent of this mismanagement and all the short-term fixes put forward will have no impact.

I live here and I experience it everyday. People have been lied to but the biggest problem is that people have lied to themselves in wanting to believe this lies.

From warriors to weaners, where is the real England gone? To the dogs.

#45     Sep 4, 2008
  6. Haven't you booked your ticket yet, try here

Bon Voyage!

:D

#46     Sep 4, 2008
  7. A question to you guys living in London, or who know the city well...

Are Russians coming there, living and investing a bad thing? Are they increasing crime in London? How do you guys see the wealthy Russians there? Are they appreciating British values/traditions, or just taking advantage of weaknesses?

I think the UK is experiencing a lot of the problems seen everywhere in Europe, where especially second or later generations of immigrants feel totally left out - without any cultural identity, without the strict rules of their parents culture and without being fully accepted in their new culture. That is why we see so much immigrant crime in Europe, I think. The first generation immigrants looking for work are not so bad - but some of the traumatized war victims are walking mental bombs who lash out at an unsuspecting population from time to time. Especially with rape crimes, it seems the lack of respect for European values and culture is a reaction of how the later generations of immigrants are not adopting what they are supposed to "understand by themselves by living in Europe". I think the stricter emphasis on acquiring "European values" is quite helpful and needed, especially for those cultures that are much farther apart from the European culture. Holland and some other countries have requirements for learning the language, culture and laws now - and I think this is helpful for longer term assimilation into European society.

Europe is very liberal, and pretty "forgiving" with regards to punitive reactions - but the population at large reacts when pushed too far. Immigration into ghettos is not something that can be tolerated for the good of long term stability.

#47     Sep 4, 2008
  8. HPT

HPT

"I'll take the finest wines available to humanity"

its cool alright ..August was the coolest on record...get me outta here

#48     Sep 4, 2008
  9. In all honesty I still love it but have lived here for 40 years. I don't think it has changed much at all in the past 10 years. There are some areas I would be careful walking through at midnight but very few really.

Yes there is a Russian influence now but to be honest that is really only impacting the houses worth £10m+ and their numbers are tiny in relation to the population of London of greater than 10m.

The bigger influence is the influx of poor East Europeans but even then the number is tiny in comparison and I am proud to live in a City that is diversified. These groups of people have not really affected me in any way, good or bad.

As for crime. Well they now release the stats and in the area I live (they probably break each area down into an area of a few square miles) there was 1 reported crime in July, up from 0 in June. It hardly leaves me living in fear.

The weather has been shocking this summer -isnt it always. Didnt bother me as I spent it in California and Hawaii. Incidentally the weather in San Fran and North California didnt seem much better either! And whilst abroad I experienced fires in Yosemite and the Big Sur, and earthquake in LA and a volcanoe erupting in Hawaii. I did get back before Hurrican Gustav though!

#49     Sep 4, 2008
  10. Just the obligatory post from the 'been there, done that' crowd: The scene in London was fantastically vibrant 15 years ago for those with spare cash to go out to clubs (Astoria, Ministry) and gigs (Brixton Academy, Camden Jazz Cafe) are the first that come to mind. Theme bars were restricted to areas close to Universities and the City boys - not for 'real' drinkers.

You could drive into the centre of town on a Friday night, find a free (available and a 'single yella') parking spot after 15 minutes looking and leave at 3-7am and drive back home with absolutely no trouble. Then do the same Saturday night.

The Notting Hill Carnival (before it got too big) was edgy and addictive, shopping in Carnaby Street, Covent Garden, Camden Market was for students and culture vultures who left Oxford Street to the tourists and 'women who lunch'.

25 years ago the streets were even easier to drive around and the beer was dirt cheap. Soho was quiet, cheap, safe and composed of landlords trying to eke out a living on punters who often didn't have any more money than the waitresses. Brown was the dominant shade in clothing because everything was generally shit, but at least theme-bars hadn't been invented.

Now I go to London for a few days (last time was in '07) and I don't see anything exceptional about it - sad but true. It's turned into a generic western European city, you'll see similarities all over Europe. Vive la difference, my arse. You can 'do' each European capital in 5 days if you're able/willing to spend 12 hours a day sightseeing.

They all are definitely worthy of a visit, you might just find something really worth going for if you do your research, but for somewhere to stay for longer give me an emerging market city anytime.

#50     Sep 4, 2008