London, UK is not cool anymore - I'm leaving

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Brendan R, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Neoxx

Neoxx

#31     Sep 3, 2008
  2. Far be it for me to stoop to the lowest comment denominator debates, but aren't gulf states pumping money, in large amounts, into the U.K.?

I know that SIVs and SWFs are helping to support the U.S. treasury market, which basically means they're subsidizing the interest on our massive debt, and they've helped bail out distressed financials on Wall.

One area the Republicans get right is global liquidity - it's all good, because money does not discriminate.

#32     Sep 3, 2008
  3. I forgot something. Russia has the UK by the balls with their energy. If things get worse between the West and Russia, you had better sharpen up your axe for firewood, because Russia can flip the switch and turn off your heating fuel.

I wouldn't have a Russian friend, anyway.

#33     Sep 3, 2008
  4. No such thing in the UK.

But it's true the government and the quality of life absolutely suck, weather pretty awful a lot of the time. For everybody but the upper class and the daring entrepreneurs, one of the worst place to live in the western world when you consider the ripoff housing market (with shitholes selling for 200,000 pounds), the hooligans & the rapists running around the place and you get 5 years in jail for having a handgun. Otherwise the UK has a lot of fun to offer when you are young and senseless.

#34     Sep 3, 2008
  5. Don't think so, my friend. Every single thing the OP posted that he hated about London is essentially flourishing in Moscow.

#35     Sep 3, 2008
  6. Neoxx

Neoxx

Mercer, the HR consulting firm, publish annual quality of life surveys.

Here is an excerpt:

Worldwide Quality of Living Survey 2008

2008 ranking
    2007 ranking

Top 10

ZURICH
    Switzerland

VIENNA
    Austria

GENEVA
    Switzerland

VANCOUVER
    Canada

AUCKLAND
    New Zealand

DUSSELDORF
    Germany

MUNICH
    Germany

FRANKFURT
    Germany

BERN
    Switzerland

SYDNEY
    Australia

BOTTOM 10

DHAKA
    Bangladesh

SANAA
    Yemen Arab Republic

PORT HARCOURT
    Nigeria

KINSHASA
    Dem. Rep. Of The Congo

POINTE NOIRE
    Congo

NDJAMENA
    Chad

KHARTOUM
    Sudan

BRAZZAVILLE
    Congo

BANGUI
    Central African Republic

BAGHDAD
    Iraq

London ranks at 38, New York 49, and Dubai 83. Moscow, on the other hand, only narrowly escapes the bottom 10.

#36     Sep 3, 2008
  7. :D

#37     Sep 3, 2008
  8. What if sick of pubs? Sit on your arse in some other indoor building escaping the rain?

#38     Sep 3, 2008
  9. When it rains, grab some little petite spinner and make it rain indoors...

#39     Sep 3, 2008
  10. Brendan.....mmm, why don't you feck off back to Ireland then. Germanwhatever, you're obviously a humourless tit. And the other cretins lining up to lay into London, suggesting Dubai, Moscow, Zurich (yawn!) etc could ever be a pleasant city to live in!!!You are screaming assholes. Drink-up, we'll have another, old boy!

#40     Sep 3, 2008