London, UK is not cool anymore - I'm leaving

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Brendan R, Sep 2, 2008.

1. imc

imc

Is it safe?

#101     Oct 12, 2008
  2. bbqbbq

bbqbbq

wow chinese -22%

#102     Oct 12, 2008
  3. Banjo

Banjo

#103     Oct 12, 2008
  4. Yep, they got too smart for plod to catch :)

#104     Oct 12, 2008
  5. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

We have been considering a move for some time now, but haven't decided where to, yet. Main problem with making that decision is that we don't live in the UK all the time, we spend about half the time in Spain :)

And just to remind you future expats that grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side of the fence. There are so many places to live, but nothing like home. OK, so home is what you make it, but whenever I stay 2-3 months over in Spain I do develop nostalgic feelings for our shitty weather...............fish & chips wraped in the Sun newspaper LOL

#105     Oct 12, 2008
  6. damn, recession is getting worse and worse and the pound is getting a beating...

people are anxious, the outlook is bleak, there is no escape.

This is an island and the cheap pound will not allow people to escape.

I have a thought for the Russians, the Arabs and all these Euro expats that heavily invested in the UK.

They feel double pain, asset depreciation and currency meltdown.

Imagine you are a dollar based investor and you bought property in London in 2006/2007.

If you were to sell now, you would make a 40% loss on the asset (cost of selling + costs incurred when you bought like estate agent and stamp duty) and you would lose another 20% from GBP depreciation for a total cumulative loss of roughly 50%!

Scary. It's only the beginning.

#106     Oct 26, 2008
  7. achilles28

achilles28

London is a Police State.

Millions of CCTV cameras, enviro-cops, DNA database, legalized state-spying, Government regulates parenting, 55%+ Tax.

Nuts over there. Scary thing, London is the Canary in the Coalmine.

#107     Oct 26, 2008
  8. henry76

henry76

London maybe a police state but it's still a good place to commit crime , very few crimes solved and very light sentences, despite government reports that crime is dropping , they were lieing( there's a shock) turns out crimes a growth industry in uk and has been for years.

#108     Oct 26, 2008
  9. You guys in London better watch out man as recession turns to depression , with amount of non English there who don't give 2 shits about anything , things are going to get much worse.

how's this for a taster ? A french woman of African origin is a dealer for a SB company and you know what ?

She gave me 3 bogus trades , and when confronted she virtually admitted it and showed not 1 sign of remorse , like this was the most natural behaviour on earth.

Unreal , at least I got my $ back , when I complained to the Director.

This is mild , be sure episodes of such cheating will get MUCH worse , there will be literally daylight robbery.

NB: 1 question - why the cost of living always so high in London , whatever the situation whether boom or recession ?

#109     Oct 26, 2008
  10. henry76

henry76

too many people not enough houses

#110     Oct 26, 2008