London Olympics 2012

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SouthAmerica, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Ricter

Ricter

Thread hijack attempt?

#11     Jul 28, 2012
  2. Worst opening ceremony I can recall. WTF do hospital beds and dancing sick kids have to do with the Olympics, much less the plug for the NHS? Embarrassing is too kind.

It was also offensive that they could have a tribute to the people killed in the UK bombing but not the Israeli athletes killed in the Munich Olympics. Pretty clearly the IOC is anti-Israel.

The Olympics have gotten so bloated, with all sorts of non-traditional sports included, that it no longer has much meaning to me. I doubt I will watch much of it.

#12     Jul 28, 2012
  3. jem

jem

I agree... My 10 year said this was "way worse than beijing"... he was stunned at how bad it was. When you have no talent and no ideas... go for the rock medley.
    Plus last night it sounded like a parade with the announcers pretending we were watching something of value... like clowns driving little cars.

As soon as my wife went to sleep I turned it off.

#13     Jul 28, 2012
  4. TheBlackHand

TheBlackHand Guest

May be a little education would do you some good?
    1. The ceremony was clearly about the UK and it's history, seeing as UK is the host country. It would be silly to be a 'poor Israel' show as you would seem to like.
    2. Danny Boyle who directed the ceremony (of Slum Dog Millionaire, Trainspotting and other films) is known for his political edge. Being ignorant of the UK and NHS as you are, it is of no surprise you failed to 'get it'. Dont worry, it wasnt aimed at those expecting some low rent circus.
    3. WTF? What has the Munich Olympics got to do with the London Olympics you retard? Why are you trying to make this to be a 'poor Israel' diversion? FYI, most Europeans have ZERO sympathy for Israel on any level. In fact, no one in the world gives a hoot about them apart from a few hicks in the USA
    4. The tribute wasnt about the UK bombing you fool. It was paying tribute to ALL THOSE who died in the world wars, what ever their nationality. You really are ignorant.
    5. I think you're a jerk. Who cares? No one. Just like no one gives a freakin toss whether you watch it or not. Who cares? Bothered?

Perhaps in future you should stick to Everybody Loves Raymond, or Friends. These are shows aimed at philistines and the terminally stupid such as your self. :)

Welcome to my ignore list.

#14     Jul 28, 2012
  5. Phelps just finished 4th in 400m final medley

#15     Jul 28, 2012
  6. TheBlackHand

TheBlackHand Guest

Well in fairness, I dont think it was aimed at people with intellects of 10 year olds - like AAA.

And what about last time America held the Olympics? Boy was THAT exciting!!!! I mean, who could had the imagination and foresight of the Americans at the Atlanta Olympics? Wheeling out Gladys Knight and Celine Dion was a STROKE OF GENIUS!! No one will ever beat that.

And what about the LA Olympics? Some idiot on a jet pack?

Although I wasnt on the edge of my seat last night, I think it was just a little more intellectual, and displayed a little more effort than what America did.

Ho hum.

#16     Jul 28, 2012
  7. China wins 400m freestyle, new olympic record. China's first ever swimming gold medal.

#17     Jul 28, 2012
  8. jem

jem

I appreciate you refrained from directly ripping me for my comment. Perhaps the US. ceremonies sucked too... but not in the same way. We promoted our own stuff... like disney- if I recall.

Note, I really like the U.K. It has a fascinating history.
    You have great humor... I like some of your Dr. Whos, love your mysterys and detective shows. I watched every MI5 on netflix. When I was there I saw some great stuff at the symphony etc. I enjoy your history, shakespeare is pretty much the only plays I will go see.

But, no talent rap and dance --- that is english culture? It was even an insult to hip hop. That was elevator pablum. It was a talentless salute to "multiculturism" and how the director wants us to see England. it was not celebrating the UK. Which is what I was hoping to see.

#18     Jul 28, 2012
  9. TheBlackHand

TheBlackHand Guest

Jem - Well thats fine. I wasnt on the edge of my seat either - not being a big fan of rap myself. It definitely dragged on a bit.

May be it was just over hyped a little? Expectations are hard to meet under such circumstances.

It did seem that a lot of effort and thought had gone in to the performance though, and I'll give them credit for trying.

The biggest issue I do have with it is the amount of money that was spent on the show. This is for 2 reasons:
    1. it raises the bar for the next country (Brazil I think) and future host countries to spend equal amounts for a comparable show, which they cant afford...
    2. I just think that such money could be better spent elsewhere - like the NHS, the poor and needy, the elderly etc. This is especially true for future countries like Brazil, and then Spain etc who are looking to host after Brazil.

(BTW - I just had to off load on to AAA as he tried to bring this into an Israeli argument as I have seen him do in countless other threads. I mean talk about derailment for a cause no one gives a toss about!!)

#19     Jul 28, 2012
  10. You have to remember that to train for the Olympics takes lots of time. Most white people have jobs so they dont have as much time to train as all those black people that don't have jobs. :)

#20     Jul 28, 2012