London House Prices Surge Most in Two Years

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ASusilovic, Oct 17, 2011.

1. zdreg

zdreg

london is not a shithole.
    london is a cesspool.

London, that great cesspool into which all the loungers and idlers of the Empire are irresistibly drained.
    Arthur Conan Doyle

#11     Oct 17, 2011
  2. Ash1972

Ash1972

Rising rental demand is the clearest indication that people are unwilling or unable to buy at current prices.

I don't believe property prices will halve in London long term, but I think we'll be looking a roughly zero rate of growth for some time.

Property is not going to be a good investment for the next 10 years. Everyone's thinking has been skewed by what the London market did from 1996 to the present, but looking at the prior 10 year period would be far more realistic.

#12     Oct 17, 2011
  3. sme

sme

+1

And thank god for deflation. We have entire generations that instinctively fear deflation and do not know how to operate in a deflationary environment--up now means down, and down now means up.

#13     Oct 17, 2011
  4. Visaria

Visaria

What deflation?

#14     Oct 17, 2011
  5. Ash1972

Ash1972

A falling stock market for a start. The huge dead cat bounce from the March 2009 doldrums seems to have eerily echoed what happened in the central London real estate market..

#15     Oct 17, 2011
  6. Visaria

Visaria

I laugh at the notion of deflation here in the UK. Our beloved Bank of England has just embarked on a money printing spree to the tune of £75 billion. Prices as measured by the govt's own index are rising at 5.5% pa. In reality, it's more like 7-8% a year. Anyone who thinks there is going to be deflation is seriously deluded.

#16     Oct 17, 2011
  7. I'd say I was more of a lounger than an idler.

#17     Oct 17, 2011
  8. southall

southall

[​IMG]

This is Southall in west london.

Sheds and garages in most back yards converted to 'bungalows' to illegally house groups of illegal asian immigrants (indians mostly) in each one.

No way those guys can afford to buy or rent a place of their own, even in the poorest parts of the capital.

And these slums are spreading to the rest of london too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ualid-homes-immigrants.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

#18     Oct 17, 2011
  9. Ash1972

Ash1972

There are two things you really need to understand:

1) Right now we are seeing STAGFLATION: falling *asset* prices and lacklustre GDP combined with increasing *consumer* prices.

2) QE is NOT inflationary, whether they 'print' 75 or 750 bn quid. All monetary printing does is increase the banks' lending base. The point is, no one is BORROWING. The resultant effect on money supply is nil.

#19     Oct 17, 2011
  10. Visaria

Visaria

Falling asset prices, eh? You may want to check the title of this thread.

As for QE, the notion that it is not inflationary is a contradiction in terms. Have a look at when QE was first announced in the US (and indeed the UK) and then have a look at a chart of stock and commodities prices.

#20     Oct 17, 2011