lol, Dell giving it away

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stock777, Mar 19, 2009.

1. dell outlet is dumping inventory. just bought a low end desktop for the wife. $179 with free shipping.

#11     Mar 20, 2009
  2. Why would a format of the drive and an install of XP be a problem in a desktop?

Unless DELL was using proprietary drivers not available in XP, doesn't seem that this would be a problem.

#12     Mar 20, 2009
  3. W4rl0ck

W4rl0ck

4. Got this exact same computer for a family member, except they added a 256mb ATI HD 3450 XT video card to handle the Vista graphics.

Runs great.

#14     Mar 20, 2009
  5. Yawn; why pay for it; after a year; you can scavenge it from wast yard for free.:D Pentium D is so old.

#15     Mar 20, 2009
  6. dude Im still running an overclocked Amd 64 3000.

Thats right . Why? I get excellent performance out of it and I cant upgrade to the latest crap without reinstalling freaking windows and having to rebuild my 100's of apps I've installed from scratch.

Terrible design flaw in Windows. You can brute force some upgrades and keep the existing installs but it's risky and tortured.

#16     Mar 21, 2009
  7. anybody seen any coupon codes for Dell Precision laptops? also does anybody know if you can stack discounts when buying a Dell laptop?

For example I believe Discover and Bank of America both have online "malls" for credit card holders where you can get discounts on Dell products, I wonder if you can combine the discounts there with coupon codes and/or the Fatwallet CashBack program.

Phonehog also has a deal where you get 4 free minutes on a phone card for every $1 spent on a Dell.

So basically I'm wondering, any ideas on how to combine as many discounts and perks as possible when you're going to spend 2 - 3K on a laptop?

#17     Apr 7, 2009
  8. JA_LDP

JA_LDP

It's a huge problem but it really depends on the model. you might be better off building your own or make sure xp is preinstalled. If it actually does let you install xp (it doesn't BSOD during the setup), it's a pain to find the drivers. good luck.

#18     Apr 7, 2009

9. What site you found this one ?

#19     Apr 7, 2009
  10. gnome

gnome

Dell is using proprietary drivers for the devices on their mobos, but they and their updated versions are always available on their website.

#20     Apr 7, 2009