Lol @ Amd

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by demoship, Apr 19, 2007.

1. da-net

da-net

just a follow up that may support my position that waiting for oe is a good idea. i looked at this more closely and think it might pullback to about $14.66....do not know if it will pull back by monday

what do you think?

#21     May 15, 2007
  2. piezoe

piezoe

Look at the open interest. I was expecting it to pin at 14. At least before the timely upgrade and the jump to 15. :confused:

#22     May 15, 2007
  3. SHORT AMD TO MAKE LOTS OF MONEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS JUST IN !

Inte's Powerful 45nm Penryn will Punish costy 65nm Barcelona. YOU GOT NOTHING !

At the Microprocessor Forum, Intel demoed its V8 workstation running the POV-Ray benchmark. The machine is equipped with Intel's Workstation Board S5000XVN, 2 quad-core Xeons 5365, clocked at 3GHz and 16GB RAM. And the results are simply impressive: Intel scored over 4,900 pixels per seconds versus a little bit over 4,000 for AMD's 4 sockets quad-core (Barcelona) system. Again, this is an AMD 16 cores system versus Intel's 8 cores V8 machine.

"Why do you need 16 cores, when you can do better with 8. Our 8 core system is 30% faster than the 16 core machine AMD showed to the press yesterday. I just don't understand how they can claim to be 40% faster", said Francois Piednoel, an Intel engineer present at the show.

Well, now AMD has some explanation to do and sooner rather than later. Because if they can't figure out what happened with those POV-Ray results they showed us, that's the end of it. At the show, Intel also demoed a system with a 45nm Penryn quad-core processor (shipping by year end) that is 40% faster than the top of the line quad-core generation, the Core 2 Extreme processor QX6800. Wow!

#23     May 23, 2007
  4. Short Intel and AMD.

The price war hasn't even begun yet.

#24     May 23, 2007
  5. da-net

da-net

FWIW

I have been around the computer industry long enough to know that it is like all other industries...the company showing off their new whatever uses every trick in the book to make thiers look and perform better...it is just simply business. So I personally do not care if one supposedly is better or faster than the other company.

I use to try and tell the market (stocks, options, etc) what they should do but I found that it cost me a lot of money for my arrogance. Lots more than I am willing to admit!

Since I started trading gbp/usd I have learned humility and only go with what the market tells me is happening Right Now! I am willing to wait for a situation to develop as I believe it may (not will or should) and then take action. That includes protection in case what I read the market is telling me is wrong!

Currently I have not established a position in AMD. This will be my first trade in any stock, option, etc in about 2 years if it meets my expectation. If it does not then I'll just pass. However I hope that your directional bias makes you plenty of money.

#25     May 23, 2007
  6. The technical bottom has probably been reached and a rally to 20 wouldn't be too surprising

#26     May 23, 2007
  7. No. The stock price is going to 0. Chance of bankruptcy still exists.

23-12.6= 10.4

10.4/3= 3.47

3.47+12.6= 16.07

Actual turning point appears to be 15.95.

The next leg down begins now if it cant bust through 16.07.

We have a substantial amount of indebtedness that could adversely affect our financial position (meaning bankruptcy).

As of March 31, 2007 we had consolidated debt of approximately $3.8 billion. In April 2007 we issued $2.2 billion aggregate principal amount of our 6.00% Notes and used $500 million of the net proceeds to repay a portion of the October 2006 Term Loan. In addition, a significant portion of our consolidated debt bears a variable interest rate, which increases our exposure to interest rate fluctuations. Our substantial indebtedness may:

• make it difficult for us to satisfy our financial obligations, including making scheduled principal and interest payments;

• limit our ability to borrow additional funds for working capital, capital expenditures, acquisitions and general corporate and other purposes;

• limit our ability to use our cash flow or obtain additional financing for future working capital, capital expenditures, acquisitions or other general corporate purposes;

• require us to use a substantial portion of our cash flow from operations to make debt service payments;

• limit our flexibility to plan for, or react to, changes in our business and industry;

• place us at a competitive disadvantage compared to our less leveraged competitors; and

• increase our vulnerability to the impact of adverse economic and industry conditions.

If we cannot generate sufficient operating cash flow or obtain external financing, we may be unable to make all of our planned capital expenditures (meaning bankruptcy).

For 2007, we plan to make approximately $2.0 billion of capital expenditures, including related to expanding production capacity at Fab 36 and commencing the conversion of Fab 30 to a 300-millimeter facility. However, our ability to fund these capital expenditures in accordance with our business plan depends on generating sufficient cash flow from operations and the availability of external financing, if necessary.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our capital expenditures, together with ongoing operating expenses, will be a substantial drain on our cash flow and may decrease our cash balances. The timing and amount of our capital requirements cannot be precisely determined at this time and will depend on a number of factors including future demand for products, product mix, changes in semiconductor industry conditions and market competition. We regularly assess markets for external financing opportunities, including debt and equity financing. Additional debt or equity financing may not be available when needed or, if available, may not be available on satisfactory terms. In addition, in order to finance our acquisition of ATI, we entered into a Credit Agreement with Morgan Stanley Senior Funding Inc. dated October 24, 2006 (October 2006 Term Loan). While amounts remain outstanding under this agreement, we are required to prepay these amounts with (i) 100 percent of the net cash proceeds from certain debt incurred by us or a restricted subsidiary other than excluded debt as defined in the October 2006 Term Loan, (ii) 50 percent of net cash proceeds from the issuance of any capital stock by us (subject to specified exceptions); (iii) 100 percent of extraordinary receipts (as defined in the October 2006 Term Loan) in excess of $30 million; (iv) 100 percent of net cash proceeds from asset sales outside of the ordinary course of business and in excess of $30 million, subject to our ability to reinvest these proceeds; (v) commencing with the fiscal year ending December 30, 2007, 50 percent of excess cash flow; and (vi) 100 percent of net cash proceeds from sales of capital stock of Spansion Inc. See “Part I, Item 2, MD&A—Liquidity,” for additional information on the definition of “excess cash flow.” These mandatory prepayment requirements limit our ability to use our cash flow, borrow additional funds or conduct equity offerings for future working capital, capital expenditures, acquisitions or other general corporate purposes. Our inability to obtain needed financing or to generate sufficient cash from operations may require us to abandon projects or curtail capital expenditures. If we curtail capital expenditures or abandon projects, we could be materially adversely affected.

• amd.jpg
      File size:
      146.8 KB
      Views:
    #27     May 23, 2007
  8. Fundamentals notwithstanding, considering the large vol double bottom.
    This could also be a potential gap n squeeze shorts play ala amzn.

MMs are probably watching short int. vol like hawks. Approach cautiously on any shorts here IMHO.

#28     May 23, 2007
  9. da-net

da-net

well, amd took me into the trade this morning. my first in a long time. i set my protection after it pulled me in.

boy, did i miss the price and timing of my entry! i will have to monitor this closely to see if it hits my potential price and time exit targets correctly.

#29     May 29, 2007
  10. Nice engulfing candle here, and it touched the lower bollinger band today.

Possible reversal. Lets wait and see

#30     Jun 7, 2007