Logmein

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by LVMises, Mar 27, 2009.

1. LVMises

LVMises

I currently use this (logmein) free remote desktop software. I was wondering if the upgrade to the professional version is worth it, or if there are any other remote desktop software programs worth taking a look at.

Thanks in advance.

2. I upgraded to Pro a few years ago in order to be able to print out documents from my desktop to the printer at which I was working. It didn't work out too well - I was only able to print out about half the time. I didn't renew my subscription, but I still use LogMeIn Free to view my desktop remotely.

You should also know that if you run multiple monitors, LogMeIn doesn't always default to the monitor you want to be looking at. You'll be logged in but you won't be able to see your start menu or desktop icons and reconfiguring the primary/secondary monitor setup won't always work.

I will say this - my ISP recently had to log into my home computers to straighten out some network issues I was having and they were using LogMeIn Rescue to access my rigs.

www.gotomypc.com

is the other cheap retail solution.

3. LVMises

LVMises

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I haven't had any problems with LOGMEIN but it can be painfully slow to navigate, on one or several monitors.

Is LOGMEIN pro considered a VPN, versus the 'basic' remote desktop? I know a couple traders who use VPN's but haven't inquired with them about which one they use. I heard latency is more of an issue with a VPN, but the advantage being the ability to navigate faster.

4. Can't help you there, sorry.

5. I've recently switched from LogMeIn Rescue to Techinline Remote Desktop (http://www.techinline.com) I have to say that it's probably the easiest service out there to use since nobody has to install absolutely anything, and all that the client needs to do is go to a URL and get a number which you type in to create the connection. Apart from that, it's a fraction of the price (LMI was getting too expensive) so I've killed 2 birds with 1 stone.

6. I've used GoToMyPC for at least 5 years (in place of a laptop) and have been very happy. Support for multiple monitors is pretty good; you can adjust color/sound settings to improve performance. I would not want to use the service for scalping - but for general remote computer access it is excellent.

7. curious but if you have a computer that is remote, if the computer is turned off can you turn on it from your remote location, or do you have to have someone locally do that

8. With GoToMyPC, the remote PC must have the power on in order to establish a connection.

9. If you want to turn the desktop on remotely, you can get a network card that supports "wake-on-lan" (WOL) .

I have tomato firmware on my linksys router at home. If I want to login to my desktop and its off, I just logon to my router interface, and select my desktop and a few minutes later (after bootup) its ready for login.

If your network card doesn't support WOL, you can pick up a card that supports it from Newegg, and it'll run you less than $10 .

10. use it for free and dont worry;)

#10     Apr 13, 2009