Logitech G5 Laser Vs. Mx 518 -- corded Mice for large hand

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bernard111, Dec 9, 2005.

1. I'm looking for a substitute of my Logitech MX1000 laser with a corded mice alternative.

The ideal mouse would be one that fit a large hand, so quite 'thicker' than most of the mouses around.

The MX 1000 is enough good for me (a larger one would be better) but I don't like the cordless solution: sometimes I forget to recharge the mouse so I cannot use it, usually during the most critical situations...the Murphy's law hits!

I never had on my hand a G5 laser or a MX 518 for a direct comparison.

- Anyone uses one of them or have a suggestion?

2. gnome

gnome

I have a MX 510 (model prior to 518, 800dpi max). I've come to like it better than any other I have now or in the past.

3. I second that. I have been through many mice and the MX5xx series is by far the best as far as comfort, sensitivity, price and longevity.

Good luck.

4. I already own an original MX 500 and it's smaller than the MX 1000. This one seems to better fit my hand. Anyone know actually how the 500/510/518 compares vs. MX 1000 about size?

5. A few months ago, I resolved to get this not-so-minor aspect of my trading optimally "handled". Researched mice online (CNET, PCMag, etc., and, of course, ET). Narrowed it down to about 3 (corded) models, then went over to a Best Buy and played around with the large selection of mice they had on display. The Logitech MX-518 was my top choice. Like the previous posters, I'd recommend it highly, without any hesitation.

In term of a "large hand", you'd be wise to also try different models hands-on, whether at BB, Circuit City, CompUSA or any other store close to you. As you might know, the G5 Laser comes with a novel "weighting system", allowing you to vary the weight of the mouse from 128g (4.5 oz) to 177g (6.2 oz) in 16 1.7g and 4.5g increments. Hmm... I am happy with MX518's 3.8 oz (using my own scale) and dual thumb buttons.

For what it's worth, even after the release of the G5 Laser in August, the MX518 remains the top-rated corded mouse on CNET, 8.7 vs. 8.0:

http://reviews.search.com/search?q=...e=products&allfields=0&k=17784366&ob=7eRating

6. bighog

bighog Guest

i choose the 518 because i also believe in the CORDED models. I do not want to fool around with batteries. love the new mouse, really cool. better be for $53 after tax.....:D Logitech mx518

7. I use corded...like the other poster said ...no batteries. But I have a large hand...Are there any large hand versions that are corded...links?

I have a wireless card in one of my laptops and performance is very slowed...

Michael B.

#10     Dec 11, 2005