Logical reasons to choose vegetarianism?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by trader#21, Dec 12, 2012.

1. ElCubano

ElCubano

"Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease" by Caldwell Esselstyn....Talks about a plant based, oil free diet that has reversed heat diesease by treating the cause and not only symptoms. He has people who have been on this diet 10-20plus years who have stopped their progression of heart disease and even reversed it....I have not read the book yet, so cant say much about it...but the prgram is pretty much:

you may not eat anything with a mother or a face
    no dairy products
    you cant consume oil , not even olive oil...

#21     Dec 15, 2012
  2. I went on this diet for a couple of months. I felt tired and hungry all the time. I was falling asleep at two o'clock in the afternoon then waking up and eating like a horse. I gained 10 pounds in 8 weeks.

On the Esselstyn diet, even if you don't live longer it will definitely seem longer. Much longer.

#22     Dec 15, 2012
  3. Is a fish a vegetable? And what about turkeys? Help me understand this. I think I may have misinformed my children.

#23     Dec 15, 2012
  4. It was fuuny, think New Yorker magazine jokes.

#24     Dec 15, 2012
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

..and don't get me started on their Christmas Specials!

http://www.meatloversparadise.com/products.asp

This is probably what the Bright brothers do in their spare time:

http://brighttradeshow.com/news/613/Meatlovers-Paradise.html

I mean seriously, why would God put all those tasty animals on Earth, if not for eating them??? Argue against that!

Hey here is a good Christmas present:

The Mindful Carnivore: A Vegetarian's Hunt for Sustenance

"As a boy, Tovar Cerulli spent his summers fishing for trout and hunting bullfrogs. While still in high school, he began to experiment with vegetarianism. By the age of twenty he was a vegan. A decade later, in the face of declining health, he returned to omnivory and within a few years found himself headed into the woods, rifle in hand."

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mindful-C...UTF8&qid=1355615064&sr=8-2&keywords=carnivore

#25     Dec 15, 2012
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

#26     Dec 16, 2012
  7. At 71 my dad looked good too, he smoked 2+packs of cigs a day and was an alcoholic. Doesn't prove cigs and being a drunk are the way to live. He looks like hell now, but still kicking.

#27     Dec 16, 2012
  8. Meat And Cancer – Country Comparisons
    Published on: May 6th, 2012
    Article by: Anthony Wilson
    Filed under: Cancer Risk Factors, Food & Drink, Statistics

Most scientists agree that a high intake of meat, particularly red meat, increases an individuals risk of developing certain forms of cancer however there is uncertainty over the extent of the link between the two. Comparing cancer rates and meat consumption across different countries provides some interesting insight on the link between meat consumption and cancer. The table below shows the ten countries with the highest and lowest levels of meat consumption per capita.

Clearly high meat consuming countries have higher cancer rates than countries with low meat consumption however the association is complicated by the fact that high meat consuming countries also tend to be high income countries.

High income countries generally have higher cancer rates than low income countries. There are a variety of reasons for this, many unrelated to meat consumption. For example smoking, obesity, and a sedentary lifestyle, are all risk factors for cancer that are more prevalent in high income countries than in developing countries. Furthermore, many cases of cancer go undetected in low-income countries due to a lack of screening programs and poor access to healthcare facilities.

The graph below shows cancer incidence and meat intake after adjustment for GDP per capita. Countries to the right of the vertical axis have higher than expected levels of meat consumption given their income while countries above the horizontal axis have higher than expected cancer rates given their income level.

Meat consumption and cancer risk adjusted for income

http://healthhubs.net/cancer/meat-and-cancer-country-comparisons/

interesting article you need to go the web site to look at the graphs.

#28     Dec 17, 2012
  9. Pekelo

Pekelo

Hey Bigarrow, in your first post you say correlation doesn't mean causation (I agree) then in your next post you try to come up with such a thing (meat causes cancer)....

Bad,bad boy....

#29     Dec 17, 2012
  10. I didn't say anything, I thought it was an interesting article that you and others on here might find interesting also. I think the article says the same thing that correlation doesn't mean causation and there are many other factors to consider.

#30     Dec 17, 2012