Log Rolling

Discussion in 'Trading' started by PoundTheRock, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Interesting plugs below from "respected" names in trading about an upcoming book... too bad they didn't do enough research to learn that the author was great at draining accounts of their equity :D

<i>"XXX's trademark enthusiasm and spirit shine through in this solid work. Anyone employing technical analysis -- or wanting to employ it
    will learn from and enjoy this book, as several solid techniques are spelled out in detail. Not only that, but XXX spends considerable time explaining the "why's" and "how's" of his trading methods -- not just the numbers. Whether novice or experienced, you're sure to improve your trading techniques with this book."

Larry McMillan
    Author- Options as a Strategic Investment

XXX's <Book Title> provides the reader with outstanding stock market coverage. His book contains much material not seen anywhere else . . . a fine book, I highly recommend it!

John Murphy
    Author of Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets and Intermarket Analysis

There is a Japanese Samurai saying, "He whose ranks are united in purpose will be victorious." <Book Title> brings together some of the most important elements to help you win your trading battles. XXX reveals his favorite technical indicators like volume (which besides candles, is my most important indicator) but he goes beyond that. Many books have technical indicators but what good is having them if you don't know how to incorporate them into a trade? XXX not only explains the technical signals but he goes the next step by showing how use these tools to identify a potential trade and then set up the trade. And he rounds out the picture by detailing the all important aspect of money management. All in all, this is an easy to read book with valuable insights.

Steve Nison
    Author of Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques

XXX's <Book Title> provides the reader with outstanding stock market coverage. His book has a very wide range of subject matter and is written to not only introduce the reader to the world of technical analysis, but contains much material not seen anywhere else. I especially commend him for the chapter on stops. Contains a large number of easy to understand charts. All is all, a fine book and I highly recommend buying it.

Joseph Granville
    Market Timer and Author of The Granville™ Market Letter</i>

2. TGregg

TGregg

It's my understanding that a lot of these cover blurbs are tit-for-tat sorts of things. For instance, if you and I both had books coming out about how to buy and never sell at a loss, I could write a nice quote for your book, and you'd write one for mine.

Look at vidoes for instance. You can walk into Blockbuster, find the crappiest movie they have, and on the cover will be something like "'Best movie ever made' - Joel Nobody, WBUT Butthole Nebraska".

Some of the quotes might come from folks with reputations, I imagine those cost money.

3. Can you imagine anyone claiming to never sell at a loss?

I'm visualizing a picture of a squirrel with dangling nuts.

:p

4. Holmes

Holmes

My neighbour had a wonderfull expression that he came back with from a stint in the Phillipines:

Show me your friends and I know who you are.

Very apt when judging "educational materials".

Sherlock

5. Holmes

Holmes

material not seen elsewhere = shit

you're sure to improve your trading techniques with this book = you will sure as anything never repeat this mistakes of following what is in this book (you only learn from your mistakes)

this is an easy to read book = written for a first grader and about as much information in it as being spouted on kindergarten

written to not only introduce the reader to the world of technical analysis = give you a first hand experience of being taken in by snake-oil salesmen and rip-offs

:eek:

6. :D :D :D Heh heh.
    Here's a question, its been suggested this back scratching operates on a mutually benificial basis.
    Does anyone know, if any of these guys get PAID for said testimonials?
    steve nison has his monicker across the board, prolific even- but his books have sold very well over time-and in fact, not a bad word has been read (by me) about his work.
    I understand the best way for publishing houses to sell books is to have other"well published" authors say stuff in non commital and vague terms , inside the front cover.

T Gregg, what is the definition of a "reputation" in this gig?
    Does WILEY publishing have some some secret stranglehold on the market, the publishers/publishees?

If im to beleive their press, they are surprisingly unconcerned as to whats printed, they found a "niche" in the trading literature market , and ran with it-great-but that surely cant explain the paucity of other brand volumes, specific to trading/market oriented authors.
    Opinions?

7. TGregg

TGregg

Dunno about Wiley, but the theory is that folks with decent reps amongst traders (like Linda . . . uhm. . . Radske or whatever, or like Vic Sperando) might want to protect those reputations and not plug a stupid book. For free, anyway.

And let me say that I've never seen Trader Vic (Vic Sperando) plugging a useless book. I only included his name in this post because he has a fine reputation amongst traders. Further, I think his rep is more deserved than many others.

8. Holmes

Holmes

Learned a lot from Trader Vic's book. Present US government would do well reading his thoughts on the economy according to Robinson Crusoe.

But many years ago Wiley's press was into a lot of computer books, these days they seem to have given it away. (at least I seem to feel they have become either "just one of the bunch" or mediocre)

Going along that line of thought then would be that Wiley may be good at jumping on the bandwagon of the subjects that are "hot".

Just my $0.02

Sherlock

9. Right Gregg,

"You scratch my back, I scratch yours."
    :)

10. Interesting ... what does it mean when u don't have friends?

Could be good or bad, I would think.

#10     Aug 27, 2005