Lock-Limit Down/Up Days on Charts

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by bluehello, Oct 25, 2007.

1. bluehello

bluehello

Hi guys,

How do you spot lock-limit days on a daily futures chart?

Also, I know it depends on the specific commodity, but on average, how common are lock-limit days?

2. jd7419

jd7419

Limit down days in equity indexes are quite uncommon. In fact I don't think there has been one in the in the es in over 5 years. Imo we will get one soon though. The rumors of intermeeting fed cuts and faber reports one day won't bail the bulls out.

3. Samc

Samc

I haven't seen a limit down or up in the futures since the wild and fun days of 2000. I am pretty sure that they changed the limits that the markets lock at sometime after that.
    Believe it used to be 2.5% on the index futures, now it is 5%. Obviously that would make it pretty rare. But always fun to watch if you are not losing. Even more fun being on the right side.

4. bluehello: "How do you spot lock-limit days on a daily futures chart ?"
    look for a horizontal line representing the OHLC limit price above
    or below the previous price, and/or series of such lines, between
    which there'll be a gap/s

"Also, I know it depends on the specific commodity,
    but on average, how common are lock-limit days ?"
    several commodities no longer have limits -- currencies, metals
    http://www.usafutures.com/commodityprices.htm
    limits would usually occur at or after extreme price moves, top or
    bottom of a market as well as within accelerating markets but in
    general limit days are infrequent

5. wiseass

wiseass

just saw a video of someone going apesh!t after discovering their trade when into lock limit.
    so if a lock limit is enforced who is actually forcing prices further down or up?

6. The pool of unfilled orders at the limit "locks" the market.

7. ES and other index futures were limit down the overnight limit early morning January 22, 2008.

8. tiger_6

tiger_6

Usually is this is only one or two days; It is frequent in the grains; Other markets have other trading rules, found in the contract information section of the various exchanges.

Unfortunately, they will never tell you how many times the contract reaches the limit.