Lock free Queue and Lock free Allocator

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by nitro, Oct 27, 2009.

1. nitro

nitro

Does anyone know of a combination generic implementation of a LFQ and LFA that would work in C++.Net?

For example, I need to be able to say this:

Code:
    LockFreeQueue< array < Byte > ^ > ^ transmitQueue;

Thanks in advance

2. rosy2

rosy2

i would also be interested to know about a lock free allocator.
    i havent used c++ in a while but we used hoard; i dont think it was lock free though

3. wenzi

wenzi

4. KGTrader

KGTrader

Hi Rosy2,

Does fixed size block allocator satisfy
    your requirements? if yes, this might
    work for you

http://warp.povusers.org/FSBAllocator/

I have not used it yet. I am about to use
    it. The default operation mode is:
    lock free, non-thread-safe

5. I wrote a little library that uses the "cmpxchg" (for single processor) and the "lock cmpxchg" (for multi processor) assembler instructions, for both inter thread queuing and thread safe memory pooling (note I didn't say allocation). I wrote the whole thing in C, using a strange "template-like" grammar (using #define ... don't ask), and it scales quite well.

Look at the following paper on RCU (read-compare-update). It is sufficient for any single-producer, multiple consumer situations. The producer, however, may need to "spin-lock" (yield).

http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/6.828/2008/readings/rcu.pdf

Now, if it is just the simple one-producer, one consumer queue, you can play tricks like CPU-affinity, and just use volatile integers (Intel does a good job of putting up memory barriers, in the single processor, one producer / one-consumer case). And I have done exactly that, the performance there is about 25-30% gain from "lock cmpxchg", which does a strict "serialization" of operation on the variable.

6. nitro

nitro

Thanks.

I am pretty sure hoard is not lock free.

The reason for a lock free allocator in conjunction with the lockfree data structures is the following simple thought experiment: I see some lockfree code online, but what the heck good is it if you then have to call malloc (or gcnew) as a result? It seems to me that all you have done is pushed the inefficiency into the allocator, not really resolving anything.

I may be wrong about this, as all I have done is done a thought experiment and waved my hands in the air, intead of doing real-world testing that gives me actual time comparisons, but I don't see what I could be missing.

7. nitro

nitro

rufus, if your FIX engine and this code was available for purchase, you would have a customer.

8. nitro

nitro

I have used APPIA before. It is very average.

9. Sanity check. You may get around calling malloc, but there is NO way around calling gcnew. If you need a garbage collected .NET object, then you HAVE to call gcnew - because this is the only way to allocate a .NET class instance. Sorry.

That said, I am not even sure why you look for something lock free here. .NET is very efficient if properly configured (server mode) - basically distributing the memory itself and giving every processor core a separate area to allocate from (so they do not block each other).

10. like rufus said, if you're doing single writer/reader, just use volatiles and an array and wrap it up into a template. i do exactly that for all my messaging.

gets trickier with multi writer/reader, but you can do quite a bit with sw/sr as the linearity of data/model logic really doesn't require anything more complex.

#10     Oct 29, 2009