LLC Brokerage Account

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by chuzek, Jul 18, 2010.

1. chuzek

chuzek

Yes, I was imagining that is what one would do.

#11     Jul 18, 2010
  2. In that case it is a huge benefit!

#12     Jul 18, 2010
  3. chuzek

chuzek

4. jumper

jumper

With my limited knowledge, the LLC is a passthrough entity. I don't think it provides the tax advantages that the other member suggested.

And the wash sale is another issue. You can file MTM with either LLC or indiv.

#14     Jul 18, 2010
  5. Bob111

Bob111

no..this would apply to C corp. there is fed 15% tax (could be some changes on and after 2011, thank you Barry O) on first 50K profits.
    as been stated above LLC is pass-trough entity and treated by IRS that way. you pay your taxes on total profits(and share losses)according your % of membership in this LLC, regardless, if you take the money from LLC or keep them in it

chuzek-you can easily educate yourself about different forms of incorporation, that may satisfy your needs. there is a plenty of info on internet or cheap used books on amazon. but ...from my experience bottom line will be very simple-there no significant tax benefits in it.
    unless-you come up with something really creative(and that may lead you into trouble with IRS)
    trading is pretty straight forward business..there is very little "business expenses" and trust me-IRS ain't some fools that would eat some bs like your lunch deductions or "business travel" expenses

here is good website-

http://www.traderstatus.com/tradingentity.htm

#15     Jul 18, 2010
  6. In that case, is there any way not to pay taxes but reinvest profits and pay taxes only when the owners get the money?

#16     Jul 18, 2010
  7. Bob111

Bob111

yes..it's called IRA account :p
    but on serious note-no. at least- i don't any ways arounnd it. not in corp. world. no such thing as make money now,pay taxes 40 years later.. uncle same wants your money now. did you ever notice,how fast they(IRS) cashed your tax check?

#17     Jul 18, 2010
  8. because OP mentioned supplying money to the LLC.

#18     Jul 18, 2010
  9. Bob111

Bob111

and? i would appreciate, if someone point me to a proper IRS publication about it.
    about how supplying the money to new or established business will reduce your tax bill.
    when you buy 100 shares of AAPL or GOOG or invest 10K into Qadriga superfund(also LLC btw)-you became a partner,member in case of LLC. does this reduce your tax bill?

#19     Jul 18, 2010
  10. DVB

DVB

If you own 100% of LLC, you will be treated as "disregarded entity" for tax purposes, which means all LLC activities are to be treated as if you were an individual. By the way, tax code does not recognize LLC as entity. When you apply for federal ID number you have to select tax treatment either as corporation (S or C status can selected later) or partnership.

Also not sure how you can "defer profits" - your broker will send info to IRS based on cash proceeds.

#20     Jul 18, 2010