LJM Preservation and Growth Fund, collapsed by 82 percent! (WTF?)

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by prc117f, Feb 8, 2018.

1. I never ever do naked positions.

Yes, it makes a big difference.

#81     Feb 18, 2018
    options_fanatic likes this.
  2. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

That's my guess as well.

If they were only trading VIX, their performance in 2017 would equate to a position of 6% long XIV (which tripled in value to earn approx. 20%). To have the loss they did in 2018 they would have then had to have 80% XIV.

Either they changed their position drastically or they had a different risk. My guess is that they were short a lot of tails and perhaps long ATM to flatten or get long the spot gamma. The small move in the SPX didn't allow the ATM to earn while the rally in VIX caused (or was caused by) a rally in the DOTM puts which caused substantial marked to market pain. They were probably buying in the post market and that's where the insanity came from. Their book is vega flat and gamma flat but short a lot of vol gamma. If I'm right, if they were able to hold on for a week, they would have survived.

It's still inexcusable in my opinion. But it seems more and more funds are doing stupid things like the fund last year that was trading 1x4 callspreads so that they were long that market but hedged for a down move.

#82     Feb 18, 2018
    KevinD likes this.
  3. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

You'll never have enough delta on the downside and you will have too much on the upside.

#83     Feb 18, 2018
  4. samuel11

samuel11

#84     Feb 18, 2018
  5. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

#85     Feb 18, 2018
  6. #86     Feb 18, 2018
  7. RedDuke

RedDuke

#87     Feb 19, 2018
  8. You mentioned that they survived 2008 - what I'm saying is that this particular fund was launched in 2013, long after 2008.

#88     Feb 19, 2018
  9. Does anyone have any idea what happened to their Aggressive Strategy? It's supposed to be an even more levered version...

#89     Feb 19, 2018
  10. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I wonder if their hedgfunds survived and only their retail fund blew up.

#90     Feb 19, 2018