Living room enthusiasts-semi-pro tools

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by ElectricSavant, Nov 15, 2003.

1. I agree with Don and DHOHHI on this one. I think we always learn the "why" after the fact, either from a technical or fundamental perspective. In fact, on the fundamental side, that is how economists spend most of their time: explaining why their earlier forecasts did not pan out.

#11     Nov 17, 2003
  2. Don, what composes your screen real estate at the office? I can see, from your picture in the set up thread, you have three monitors plus ET on the laptop.

#12     Nov 17, 2003
  3. pentium 3 hand-me-down pc
    tradestation
    IB
    excel
    panasonic 1981 'performance television'
    DSL
    telephone
    stereo
    leather chair
    window

#13     Nov 17, 2003
  4. -Been trading futures for quite some time now. For me, your list is big time overkill. I like Ninja trader, but found it just as effective to setup hotkeys in IB. NT is cheap though, so I could go either way with that.

-I would go cable with dial backup. My cable has gone down once in two years.
    -squawk box is worthless unless you are a scalper. It still takes lots of practice using. I find them a distraction.
    - Newsfeeds, chatrooms, signal service less than worthless.

-Bloomberg terminal, etc. Only if you are making BIG money, but still prolly overkill.

I use 1 PC (adding a laptop for execution soon), several monitors, cable data feed, IB, and Esignal. I believe Esignal is the weakest link in the chain, but I don't need too much on the tech end.

ust my 2 cents,

Jay

#14     Nov 17, 2003
  5. melteye

melteye

Why do you think Esignal is the weakest link? I find their service quite good, besides the price.

#15     Nov 19, 2003
  6. The tech analysis is very weak. Have you looked at other programs? With Esignal you have to mess with formulas for even basic customization of many studies. Weak, weak, weak.

Data feed is very good though. And it is cheap.

Jay

#16     Nov 19, 2003
  7. melteye

melteye

Oh, understand. I thought you were referring to the data feed (my bad).

#17     Nov 19, 2003
  8. In the "control room" I have 2 Redi screens (one for me, one to monitor whomever needs "looking after"). I have one TrackData to for educational purposes (radio shows, magazine articles, etc. it has a lot of fundamental information)...and my basic internet connection to stay in touch with the world, and my pals here on ET. This computer is also connected to my LAN so I can actually get some work done around this place.

Behind me I have 2 "Risk Monitors" and the main office server. When we bring students here, I show everyone how we're set up and how we monitor everyone.

Don

#18     Nov 20, 2003
  9. Not to upset the multi-monitor guys... but the single Redi screen has everything you need including whatever type of data flow needed for your trading style?

#19     Nov 20, 2003
  10. traderob

traderob

Hi Don and all,
    What box would you recommend for futures? preferably one on the cheaper side.

#20     Dec 14, 2003