Living paycheck to paycheck - must be hard wired

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by nutmeg, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Now there’s a concept most on ET will never get. I have asked this question so many times here and have not gotten one good answer.

How are people supposed to save and get ahead when their cost of living keeps going up and up, but their incomes remain flat or sometimes even fall?

Inevitably, the only answer I get is that I’m lazy and don’t want to work for anything and want everything handed to me. Of course that’s like telling someone to climb Mt. Everest with no ropes and then telling them they are lazy when they complain that they can’t climb it.

#31     Jul 24, 2009

2. why aren't you in control of your "cost of living" ?

makes no sense.

surf:confused:

#32     Jul 24, 2009
  3. oh yes , i definitely recommend you give them the book Rich Dad, Poor to read and teach them the value of saving money!

#33     Jul 24, 2009
  4. Speaking of controlling your cost of living. I read a book about the history of China town (nyc). We talk about sharing apartments, these guys sublet there bed. One guy would sleep in the bed at night (worked the day shift) then the next guy who worked the night shift would rent the bed during the day.

Hell of way to live but most people have a problem with the answer or solution to their problem.

Eat tuna or mac and cheese. "But I don't like it". Oh well.

#34     Jul 24, 2009
  5. I did have the book Rich dad poor dad when it first came out, no idea where it is now, maybe I should get another copy.

Saving is good but kids just don't understand "saving" for an opportunity.

#35     Jul 24, 2009
  6. How am I supposed to stop my health insurance from going up 15% a year? Go without it?

Where were you over the past 30 years when housing prices have advanced well past the rate of wages?

People who have perfect credit history are having their credit cards jacked up to 25%.

Education costs are rising at more than 7% per year. I can bet you most Americans didn’t get a 7% raise this year.

The only thing that doesn’t make sense in this discussion is you.

#36     Jul 24, 2009
  7. Yes work hard and eat Top Ramen so the Man can have caviar.

#37     Jul 24, 2009

8. I never really cared what the "man" has, does, eats, drives, yada yada.

#38     Jul 24, 2009
  9. well at least you're man enough to realize your poor parenting skills.

How many parents take their kids to volunteer at a food bank or some such place? very few, and these parents are usually the highly educated ones.

Most parents shell out thousands to send kids to exclusive summer camps and will spring for a new bimmer as soon as "little joey" is 18. Parents transferring their low self esteem issues compensated by shiny material goods.

kids these days have a high self-entitlement complex because of the new-age child raising garbage that is taught to new parents. Girls in particular growing up with daddy's little princess complex. Expect a very high divorce rate for the new generation.

#39     Jul 24, 2009
  10. This country is fucked because of this this kind of mentality...

With health care issue aside they don't need other things you mentioned..

Why the hell do they need to buy a house? They are broke so why not rent,, better yet share apartments to lower the cost of living?

I thought his kids already have jobs,, they don't need to go back to school unless the fields they're in (i.e. Medical/Law) require advance degree,, or until they build up enough savings..

AND THEY DON'T NEED TO HAVE CREDIT CARDS.. IN FACT NO ONE NEEDS CREDIT CARDS

#40     Jul 24, 2009