Living on a boat and avoiding taxes

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by Fishbird, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Overnight

Overnight

That was me, my bad for starting a tangent. My comment was predicated on the idea of someone renouncing their US citizenship and moving elsewhere so as to be able to avoid paying U.S. taxes. That linked into the idea of being an American expatriate living in another country without consular protection in the event of an ISIS terror attack in their new home country.

Let's face the facts here...

Since 9/11, there have been no successful attacks in the US with a foreign terror group claiming responsibility. Most were simply "jihadist-inspired" attempts, but not carried out by the group themselves. There were I couple I recall that were said to be sponsored attacks, but those attempts failed. (Times Square in NYC some years ago maybe? Cannot remember).

So the USA still does provide a good level of protection for it's home-based citizens against terror, whereas in another country they may not have that level of safety. That is all I was getting at.

#461     Aug 23, 2017
    Xela likes this.
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

This whole "living on a boat" thingy is way over rated. First, you would need people or servants to interact with, unless you are a hermit. Nobody wants to be alone on a boat. Even if you live alone on dry land, you can choose to go out and talk to people anytime. Not so much on a boat.

What if you get sick? Let's say you aren't even in the middle of nowhere, but do you really want your appendix removed by a 3rd world doctor?

And we haven't event touched such an unimportant factors like family and friends. I say make more money on land, and take vacations on a boat, preferably with a captain who actually knows what he is doing.

By the way Youtube is full of blogs people sailing all over the world on the cheap, so one doesn't need a shit ton money to do so...

#462     Aug 23, 2017
    billv likes this.
  3. If you live on a boat, Pekelo...it looks like ...Your SHip,has Come in~.... o_O

Did you make a killing in the Shock Market today, and everyday,
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    #463     Aug 23, 2017
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

#464     Aug 23, 2017
    CSEtrader and Xela like this.
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

This thread needs more pictures, I just took this 5 minutes ago:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    #465     Aug 23, 2017
    CSEtrader likes this.
  6. I hear there's a Danish submarine that just came on the market...cheap!

#466     Aug 23, 2017
    CSEtrader likes this.
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

Anybody who tax sheltered on the Virgin islands care to give us a status report? The weather is kind of important when we are talking about shelters, be it tax or hurricane...

#467     Sep 12, 2017
    Xela likes this.
  8. can't you trade via an offshore shell?

#468     Sep 21, 2017
  9. Humpy

Humpy

How about buying an airship to live in ?
    Or will the tax man still claim you live in the US even if the ship is 10 foot off the ground ?
    Could be a loophole here.
    Another dodge could be to buy a property on the US/Canadian border and always be across the border when the tax man comes.

#469     Oct 13, 2017
    CSEtrader likes this.
  10. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Most of the people I have met that live on a boat...

They are not isolated. Instead, they do such within a harbor or bay or marina with other people that live on a boat or use their boats for fun trips out on the lake, river or whatever.

The harbor near my home...there's a grocery store, famous museum, pharmacy, medical clinic, public wifi spots and many other stores you'll see in a port like community. Heck, you even see cruise ships sometimes.

Therefore, I think what you're subscribing sounds like some secluded lake where people have their mail dropped in from an airplane regardless if they're on a boat or living in some cabin amongst wild animals like grizzly bears, wolves or amazon jungle. :D

#470     Oct 13, 2017
    CSEtrader likes this.