Living on a boat and avoiding taxes

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by Fishbird, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Sig

Sig

I know you're comment is tounge in cheek....but you may be interested to know that actually if you don't claim a flag while in international waters you are considered a stateless vessel. This means any country's Navy/Coast Guard can claim you. Generally not the best position to be in!

#421     Jun 19, 2017
  2. piezoe

piezoe

I did not know that! There is no way out!

#422     Jun 20, 2017
  3. Mtrader

Mtrader

Yes there is: a submarine. :D

If you see them coming, just hide.

#423     Jun 20, 2017
    piezoe likes this.
  4. Overnight

Overnight

Lol, read into it a little deeper...

"Effective June 2008, U.S. citizens who renounce their citizenship are subject under certain circumstances to an expatriation tax, which is meant to extract, from the expatriate, taxes that would have been paid had he or she remained a citizen. All property of a covered expatriate is deemed sold for its fair market value on the day before the expatriation date, which usually results in a capital gain, which is taxable income."

God bless the USA! Oi!

#424     Jun 20, 2017
  5. Fonz

Fonz

I pay a lot of taxes now. I am happy :D

#425     Jun 20, 2017
  6. Mtrader

Mtrader

I can make you happier: pay mine too.
    It would be a win-win as I would be happy too. :D

#426     Jun 20, 2017
    Fonz likes this.
  7. dealmaker

dealmaker

Boatsetter brings Boatbound aboard
    Boatbound has found a new captain. The Seattle startup that operates an Airbnb-like marketplace for boat owners has been acquired by Boatsetter, a bigger boat-sharing marketplace. Boatbound launched in San Francisco in 2012 and relocated to Seattle in 2016, drawn by the city’s large boating community and lower cost of living. The startup allows boat owners to rent out their idle boats to people of all skill levels.(GeekWire)

#427     Aug 18, 2017
  8. bone

bone

As of today, even after successfully renouncing a US Citizenship, by law that person has to file US tax returns for ten subsequent years on all income. Fact.

#428     Aug 18, 2017
    comagnum likes this.
  9. Sig

Sig

#429     Aug 18, 2017
  10. Overnight

Overnight

Well, when push comes to shove, I figure most peeps would be under the US flag of protection and pay taxes, rather than "out there" without said protection. Why give it all up just for a few tax breaks? The alternatives could be severe.

#430     Aug 18, 2017