Living on a boat and avoiding taxes

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by Fishbird, Aug 8, 2005.

1. That's what happens. I'm from Norway. VAT was established in the late 60s to avoid further increase in the income tax. Now Vat is 25% and income tax over50% in the top bracket......

#391     Aug 20, 2007
  2. Horseshit.

Please do us all a favor. Refuse to pay your taxes and try to fight it. Then, at least, we won't be seeing these types of posts anymore.

#392     Aug 20, 2007
  3. You go man. I'm too chicken, (smart) to actually fight the IRS, but I'm rooting for you. Not enough to help pay your attorney bills though, gotta save that money for my federal taxes.

#393     Aug 20, 2007
  4. try singapore

everyday is a sunny day

very secure and tax free for incoming money from overseas :D

islandwide wireless by 2015

#394     Aug 22, 2007
  5. dealmaker

dealmaker

Updated 4:00 am, Wednesday, May 31, 2017
    • [​IMG]
    Photo: Michael Macor, The Chronicle
    IMAGE1
    Buy Photo
    Sausalito

Sausalito’s split between wealthy luxury homes and less-affluent houseboat dwellers is not a new phenomenon. After the Gold Rush, it became an enclave for fishermen and wealthy yachters; although it was a stone’s throw from San Francisco, unless you had access to a boat, Sausalito was as inaccessible as the moon. It wasn’t until the area got a ferry terminal and a rail line in the 1870s that more people were able to visit. Two decades later, Sausalito officially incorporated. And, of course, the coming of the Golden Gate Bridge in 1937 opened up Marin County for good.

from sfgate.com

#395     May 31, 2017
  6. Cuddles

Cuddles

So, I keep reading that if you're not a US citizen the possibilities are endless? How so? residents still have to pay taxes on money made in the US.

#396     Jun 1, 2017
  7. Overnight

Overnight

Dealmaker wins the decade-old thread bump of-the-day award, and earns a cookie for this, hehe! (Oatmeal raisin. Chocolate chips are awarded after 20-year-old thread bumps. Sorry).

#397     Jun 1, 2017
    Benihana likes this.
  8. luisHK

luisHK

Non US citizens should definetely be non US residents as well if they want to avoid income tax. It depends very much on where one is resident, and the possibilities are shrinking, new regulations make it more difficult for eternal travellers, but there are still many oportunities for non US citizens to live free of income and social security taxes, including on their US products trading.

Second time this week Dealmaker manages this feat actually, some posters here seem to make extensive use of the search engine.

#398     Jun 2, 2017
  9. bone

bone

Avoiding income tax isn't realistic. In terms of US Citizens that trade for a living blended capital gains and living in a Republican State is about as reasonable as you're going to get without risking jail time. FWIW. It stands to reason that even if you're off-shore that with modern reciprocity and reporting agreements they're going to get you when you move it around to spend any of it.

#399     Jun 5, 2017
  10. comagnum

comagnum

A small Sausalito house boat starts at over approx. half a million -the nicer ones are well over a million. Residents pay property taxes and berth fees from $850 to $1,450 - they get power from the grid and cable TV reception. The upkeep on a houseboat is very expensive. The demand for these boats is high with not many on the market.

http://www.realtor.com/news/unique-homes/floating-homes-of-sausalito/
    http://www.sfgate.com/outdoors/urbanoutings/article/Sausalito-houseboats-Homes-float-3249940.php

houseboats.PNG

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    #400     Jun 5, 2017