Living large in South Florida

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Blue Thunder, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Just a rant, but I get depressed when I think of S FL.

I was born there, 50 years ago. Lived there until 25 years ago.

FWIW my first real job was about 3 blocks from where Dunn Capital is now. It was way before Dunn and all the millions and millions of other sunshine seekers were there, however.

30-40 years ago you wouldn't believe the paradise the Ft Pierce, St. Lucie, Stuart, and Jupiter area was. The woods, beaches, lakes...

Now all gone, destroyed, paved over, mini-marted, strip-malled, or crowded out of all semblance of decency. Reasonable Growth policies? Yeah right. Greed, baby.

I haven't been back in years. In the desert now. I can ride my dirt bike, or go 4-wheeling and not see another person for days.

You can keep S FL. But PLEASE STAY THERE!

#41     Dec 17, 2006
  2. I worked in S Fl for most of this year, I stayed at a condo in Aventura, & I stayed on South Beach for a month last year. I loved it, maybe it 's because I've never been too far from west Texas before. I worked all over miami & the surrounding areas doing property inspections after the hurricane, including the real rough parts of town. It might be me but I didn't feel threatened except in a couple of places like Liberty City, that is a rough looking area. I don't know if I'd like to live there or not but I'll definatly be going back to visit. I loved the cultural diversity, it's like being overseas but still being in the US. Also those cuban and south American women are hot.

#42     Dec 17, 2006
  3. I currently live in Boca Raton and do quite a bit of traveling around South Florida for work.

If you are not bilingual then you should be looking at Ft. Lauderdale or north of it. It really is a different world down there. Nice for a day or two of fun. Then you want to be out of it.

This is the 9th place I have lived, and one of my least favorite. If I had a boat I would probably feel different:D

#43     Dec 17, 2006
  4. actually there is Boca Raton, and then everything else..
    :)

#44     Dec 17, 2006
  5. bluedemon77

bluedemon77 Guest

Things That Suck About Florida:

1) Poisonous snakes and alligators everywhere in the suburbs (although not so much in the city).

2) Cockroaches as big as Volvo sedans.

3) Fire ants everywhere. If you step on a mound getting out of your car you will end up with burning, itchy pustules on your legs. Not a good time.

4) Sweltering heat and humidity from mid-April through mid-October. Your air conditioner runs all the time--even at night. Highs in the 90's every single day with high humidity. Lows in the 80's at night, but the humidity is still high, so it does no good to open your windows at night.

5) The state is run by brain dead Republicans like Katherine Harris and new Gov. Charlie Christ, a complete idiot. If you're a Democrat, you'll definitely feel out of place.

6) Hurricanes, which can be scary, but being without power for days at a time is even worse, especially when the post-storm temperatures are in the 90's and everything's just steaming.

7) It's a cultural wasteland, especially compared to NYC, unless you count Disney World as culture.

South Florida is the worst. It's like they combined the worst features of NYC and the worst features of Florida. If you are absolutely sure you want to live in Florida, I'd look at the Tampa/Sarasota or Naples areas. Less crime, nicer people, more like a midwest attitude. I lived there for 12 years. Not sure about prop firms there.

The best thing I can say about Florida is the winters are absolutely amazing.

#45     Dec 17, 2006
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

I know I've said this before but I will say it again. I still believe if you have to live in FL, the best place to be is Gainesville. I know it's not in south Fla, but we need to make exceptions here. The weather in Gainesville is the only downer, that being in the summer, where it is hot as hell and very humid. But 9 months a year it's great. A little cool in Dec and Jan, but I actually like having a little bit of season change.

Now on to the good points, even though real estate prices have gone up there as well, it's still a fraction of the cost of south Fl. You have great sports teams there. The culture there is probably the best in FL. Great theater, great concerts, terrific public speakers, plenty of live music, etc. The traffic is kind of bad, but you can get around town pretty fast. The women of course are gorgeous if you are single, endless supply of them. Also, unlike the botox women of south FL or the girls from the sticks, these girls are actually good looking, educated, and natural (for now). LOL.

You can eat for almost nothing in that town being a college town. Everything is open late, being a college town. And you have some of the best hospitals in the country there. And if you really need to get away, you are an hour and half drive from Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, Daytona, and a little further to Tallahassee.

I think Gainesville is the best compromise between weather, cost of living, culture and people. And btw, if you are a trader there that needs an extra job to get by, there are a million odd jobs you can get that actually pay very well.

#46     Dec 17, 2006
  7. Any properties you really like in Vegas with all the amenities?

#47     Dec 17, 2006
  8. Florida's a big state. Comparing Miami Beach to Boca or Sarasota (let alone Orlando) is like comparing Santa Monica to Mission Viejo. A guy who's 30 and single is on a different vibe than a guy 50 with kids.

If you're someone who's not into the whole tropical, urban, hi-rise, traffic, clubs/bistros/cafes type of life style then you'll HATE Miami. Most suburbanites or rural folks cringe at the thought of living anywhere in Dade County. That's why there's Sarasota. Or Phoenix. Personally I wouldn't want to live in a crowded desert basin. I'm cognizant however that someone from St. Paul or Topeka is more comfortable living near the Bellagio than Little Cuba.

If you're a young single guy (or gal) who's got $$ and you can afford to live near the beach then it's a great place. If you're a young guy making 2k a month living with a roommate in Plantation then I'd say get out of Dodge. Low to mid income people are swapping out of here for northern FL, GA, TN and the Carolina's like no to-morrow.

#48     Dec 17, 2006
  9. Yes.....many.............

This is the one I am interested in the most........

http://www.theresidencesatredrock.com/index.html

This location Queensridge has a new condo location going in just across the street that looks interesting..........

http://www.vegastodayandtomorrow.com/queensridge_place.htm

http://tvqr.com/

Here is plenty more choices.........

http://www.vegastodayandtomorrow.com/page3condos.htm

http://www.trumplv.com/

#49     Dec 17, 2006

10. dude your nuts if you think gville is the place to live in florida....too many acr's in gville to make it worthwhile

#50     Dec 17, 2006