Living large in South Florida

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Blue Thunder, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Surdo

Surdo

We have efficient delivery now to the UES!

(So I am told)

#11     Dec 16, 2006
  2. ken__0

ken__0

i c one big advantage no state income tax?
    the traffic isnt great in miami just as it aint great in nyc but just not as bad
    cuban/ puerto rican women have nice asses theres always that too.

#12     Dec 16, 2006
  3. Schaefer

Schaefer

Hi, welcome, if you do decide to come down here, take an accelerated course on Spanich, and Ebonic, and don't forget to get an entry visa with a valid passport. Don't let the airline people fool you, it ain't no US of America down here.

Welcome to the banana republic :D

#13     Dec 16, 2006
  4. It's a different kind of crime. I live in Chicago a stone's throw from Cabrini Green but grew up in SoFla. My mom grew up in the Bronx.

In SoFla I've had friends beg on their knees at gun-point for their parent's lives. I had a friend of the family killed in his driveway for his Rolex. Just a few months ago someone in my parent's neighborhood was killed during a middle of the day home invasion -- they live in a $3 MM home on the intracoastal. I've known other friends held hostage in their own home. My family's house was robbed and car stolen by the time I was 5 years old. I'm telling you -- I've spent plenty of time in NY, lived in LA and now in Chicago -- but crime in SoFla finds you. Sure if you stand in Harlem at 3AM trouble is going to happen -- same in LA or Chicago. That's called being an idiot -- but when someone follows you home and shoots in your driveway, or when someone kills you for pulling off at the wrong exit in the middle of the day that's a different story. Sounds a lot like how my Venezualen friends describe Venezuela...of course not all of SoFla is that bad -- I'm just always careful about where I am (in Miami in particular...Broward is fine)

#14     Dec 16, 2006
  5. BenChi

BenChi

forget going south. come up north. reading all of this makes me extremely grateful to live in canada. it might be a little chilly, but its getting warmer - and i'd take snow over handguns any day.

#15     Dec 16, 2006
  6. That's where I'm heading in the near future. Calgary baby. :cool:

#16     Dec 16, 2006
  7. ken__0

ken__0

jesus christ forget fl
    ever thought of wyoming.

#17     Dec 16, 2006
  8. Montana's awesome too.

#18     Dec 16, 2006
  9. Buddy, have you been to Wyoming? I have driven through there several times from Denver to Yellowstone. I have stopped in Cheyenne, Cody, Jackson, Dubois, etc. It's freakin desolate, and ugly until you get towards Yellowstone, by Jackson which costs the same as CO and even more. No state income tax, but gas cost 30% more because of gas tax. I kid you not, like out of the movies, I am driving back from Yellowstone last Sept and I see some varmit run out on the road to eat some road kill as I am driving up at 90 MPH, like from some Quentin Tarentino movie. There are village with official government signs that say population of 12, no BS!

No thanks, I understand why WY and SD have no taxes, I have no interest in living in either.

#19     Dec 16, 2006
  10. Funny thing, I have thought about FL, I currently live in Denver, CO. I hate getting up so early to trade 5:30 for currency and bonds to be ready for open. The snow doesn't bother me, it melts real fast here. I envy you Eastern Time zone traders. Before getting on the cruise ship in June we spent a couple of days in Miami, and 2 in the keyes. It was nice, humid, reminded of a more humid, warmer water temperature, version of So Cal where I grew up. Funny, I went into the local Costco, to pick up a couple of things and I was one of the only whites, kinda funny. That's ok, I grew up with pleny of hispanics in So Cal.

How do you trader in FL manage the hurricanes? One of my new trading buddies, lives on Flagler, says sometimes they lose power for 3 days! Do you guys trade from generators or just not trade. I know that doesn't happen often, but how do plan for a contingency such as that in your trading ?

#20     Dec 16, 2006