Living in Asia

Discussion in 'Economics' started by AKHENATON, May 24, 2008.

1. mokwit

mokwit

The point about the risks in this post and another are not alarmist - unless you are on an expat CEO salary and can buy everything imported you are likely to be exposed to things such as chemicals in/on foods you would not be exposed to in the West. ZThe Japanese in my building have huge bottles of water delivered to their room - this may not be a case of Japanese overpernickityness.

Lead levels in Bangkok air are probably way above what is regarded as safe in US etc etc etc

Another of many under the radar screen 'gotchas' is use of cheap chlorine chemicals in swimming pools that dissolve the enamel off your teeth................................

Education is a major factor - many/most people leave when their children reach school age, as I would, seperate from any decisions about bringing up children with the risks described above.

#21     May 25, 2008
  2. You should have large bottles of oxygen delivered to your room.:D :D :D

As for your children, too late if you they reach school age. Child psychologists will tell you the pre-school years are more important. Never mind, you wouldn't know it if you are in Asia, so ignorance is bliss. Have a blissful life in Asia!:D :D :D

#22     May 26, 2008
  3. For the guys who frequent this board, Hong Kong is definitely the place you want to be. Forget about Singapore and Japan. These countries have laws that are actually enforced. Living in Hong Kong is a cinch if the color of your skin is right. Everyone knows that the lingua franca in Hong Kong is English. Hey, how could it not be. The dang place was run by the British up until 1997! If you ever get lost, all you ever have to do is ask for directions and people will kindly point the way out to you and probably offer you a ride. And don't even get me started about the girls. Go to Lan Kuai Fong and if in 5 minutes a girl does not get on her knees and beg you with teary eyes to allow her to fellate you, then it must be that the colors you were born with just weren't right. Pack an extra large box of rubbers and a spare change of clothes. Baby, you are gonna have the time of your life.

#23     May 26, 2008
  4. Hey, this is the thread where people get to make rash, ill thought out and probably racist generalizations about cultures they barely know or understand, right?

Great! Here goes!

Philippines - money sucking whores
    Singapore - money sucking whores
    Indonesia - money sucking whores
    Thailand - money sucking whores
    HK - money sucking whores
    Malaysia - money sucking whores
    Japan - money sucking whores
    China - money sucking whores
    Vietnam - money sucking whores
    Laos - money sucking whores
    Cambodia - money sucking whores
    Taiwan - money sucking whores
    Korea - money sucking whores

There, I think that covers it. :p

To the OP, I think you might want to find out for yourself, rather than ask an anonymous internet board for traders. You could start by asking on forums where there are expats living in those countries, and just read various posts. Then try to get a job in one of those countries. You'll find out that everywhere has it's bad points.

#24     May 26, 2008
  5. Hmmm, Amanda.

The US - women will at least take half of what you own, a veritable police state where they will incarcerate you for any suspicion, call a lawyer on you and make your life a living hell and the women consume so much pharmacy products, consult psychologists for whatever weird little idea they get in their head because of the drugs.

That could be one view of the US.

I'm from europe and live in Brazil, and there are things I don't appreciate - about life here and people. But there are also things I *do* appreciate - about life here and people.

One thing I would agree on - with kids you should really do some groundwork to see that they get a nice and safe environment. In my case, the lack of children-friendly areas is really something that worries me. It's not possible to roam freely without worries for young kids over great distances like we're used to many places in europe. In stead we live behind huge walls with electric fences. Schools and kindergardens here are great for the youngest, but really lackluster when they get towards 8-9 years old and above.

#25     May 26, 2008
  6. Hi Gringinho, maybe my point didn't come across clearly enough - I was joking.

Men and women come in all shapes and sizes around the World, some will be honest others not as much.

Until you experience a country (for however short a time) you will not know if you would like living there, if you have the choice. The most important thing is trying it for size. If you don't you'll never know, and will probably regret it later in life.

Where ever you travel there will be dangers to your health. If you take sensible precautions you will be ok unless you're unlucky. More often than not, if you are sensible you will not be unlucky. If you aren't sensible quite often you're lucky.

Of all the hundreds of thousands of expats and travelers around the World only a very, very small percentage come to any harm. Most of the time it's temporary and you're ok a few months later. There will always be an occasion where a foreigner meets their untimely death, which we hear about in the newspapers and on the television. What we don't hear about, though, are the stories of the hundreds of thousands who live long, happy lives overseas. Otherwise Europe, the UK and the US would be empty, lol.

#26     May 26, 2008
  7. Hi A,

I am an expat living in S. America.
    What you do and where you live as an expat and how you enjoy the experience is all about money, and this is particularily true in asia and sa.

You can always visit a different bario for entertainment, culture, food etc, but where you go home at night is of utmost importance.

regards
    f9

#27     May 26, 2008
  8. Thre aren't enough international schools in HK now. You had better check whether there is vacancy first if you want to come here.

Both SG and HK are small places. It is likely that you may want to explore the bigger region around them after a while. If you are in SG you may explore Malaysia and if you are in HK you may explore S. China.

If you want to get to know China better of course HK is the place to go. But in mainland China you may hv difficulty communicating with most ppl there. But in Malaysia/SG this is not such a big issue.

HK ppl tend to be street-wise and flexible. SG ppl tend to be more systematic and play by the book. Apart from that they are quite similar.

And in both places you can find great cruises (Western, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, French, Italian, Thai, etc).

Actually it is very good for your kids to be raised up overseas. Many MNCs look for guys with both background in US/EU and Asia. It is not just about the languages but the real-life experience of having lived there.

#28     May 26, 2008
  9. BTW, a regular flat in HK costs ~HKD5-6k per square feet (USD600-700/sq feet). A better one costs >USD1000/sq feet.

Education here is expensive too. A better kindergarten costs USD500 per mth. If you want an international school then it is even more expensive.

Some international schools ask the parents to buy their bonds in order to get in (apart from the mthly tuition fee). I am not sure of the amt.... maybe ~USD25k. I am NOT kidding.

#29     May 26, 2008
  10. mokwit

mokwit

In S America you have to live with the rich and with their protection. In Asia much less so. You can walk around in Asia without the mugging risk, although if you get in a fight with the locals in some countries its you vs the whole country and they will break bones.

In Brazil they tell you "don't walk". You can walk for days/months/years without incident. They know this, but what they mean is someone only has to hit you over the head with an iron bar once in your life for it to ruin your life. I got lucky, I spotted the two guys waiting for me to leave the light of the Plaza in Manaus.

#30     May 26, 2008